Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many holders do you usually take with you when shooting?

Re: How many holders do you usually take with you when shooting?

While I was shooting for the industry, before d***l toke over, I brought a case with 30 4"x5" numbered cassettes with me (that's 60 sheets), all loaded wit Fucichrome Provia which was my preferred film at the time once AGFA chrome 'disappeared'.

I always shot an A- and a B sheet, when something went wrong with the A sheet, then I developed the B sheet of the same shot with an eventual correction, I processed E-6 myself.
    The A and B were two different cassettes, pair and unpair numbered so to easily recognise them on the go.

The most difficult thing was to keep the Fidelity's clean and clear of dust, it was a true pain (in the ...), and the industrial environment wasn't helping!
    In about 5 years time I had to toss an average of half of the lot because I couldn't get them clean enough anymore.

While I was shooting for the industry, before d***l toke over, I brought a case with 30 4"x5" numbered cassettes with me (that's 60 sheets), all loaded with Fucichrome Provia which was my preferred film at the time.

I always shot an A- and a B sheet, when something went wrong with the A sheet, then I developed the B sheet of the same shot with an eventual correction, I processed E-6 myself.
    The A and B were two different cassettes, pair and unpair numbered so to easily recognise them on the go.

The most difficult thing was to keep the Fidelity's clean and clear of dust, it was a true pain (in the ...), and the industrial environment wasn't helping!
    In about 5 years time I had to toss an average of half of the lot because I couldn't get them clean enough anymore.
    Last edited by phdgent; 21-Mar-2024 at 10:42.

Filtered compressed air always worked for me although I've never had to work in a dirty environment. I went through the entire lot, wiping slides, blowing out the light trap and interior. They came out very nice, some almost new.

When I was shooting 4x5 chrome for advertising I built a 1 gal water tempered E6 line out of Kreonite parts from the old MGM Grand. I'd process evenings after the shoot and if all was good break down the set the next morning and set up the next shot. Custom film hangers held 20 sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Filtered compressed air always worked for me although I've never had to work in a dirty environment. I went through the entire lot, wiping slides, blowing out the light trap and interior. They came out very nice, some almost new.

When I was shooting 4x5 chrome for advertising I built a 1 gal water tempered E6 line out of Kreonite parts from the old MGM Grand. I'd process evenings after the shoot and if all was good break down the set the next morning and set up the next shot. Custom film hangers held 20 sheets.
    I wouldn't want to count the amount of Dust-Off can's which I turned trough to clean these holders nor the liters of cleaning spirit, not to mention the time it toke!
    I even searched for a way to demagnetise them as I thought that was one of the causes of the dust problem, but in vain...

Cleaning the knobs and levers of the camera (a Linhof Kardan GT which is for sale on this forum), the whole thing actually plus the lenses, was a time consuming occupation too, but very important as that piece of gear was essential for doing good work.

I was/am the happy owner of a wonderful Colenta AT60 developing machine which is a very versatile and stable processor, and can develop up to 36 4"x5" sheets at once.
    The only drawback was the bain marie which holds 90 liter and had to be warmed up till 38°C which could take a few hours in the winter. So, when I left the location, at the end of a shooting session, I called my dear wife to ask her to start up the Colenta, then I could develop the colour slides after supper, and deliver the photos the next morning, if all went well ofcourse.
    That Colenta is for sale here too...

I've never seen a processor like it! The price is right but it looks to be 3,000 miles away. I'm glad I looked though!

My processor was built from solvent welded ABS sheet. Conventional open top 1 gallon tanks but a custom size to make better use of the space. I never liked Kodak hangers and built my own which didn't hyper develop the film edges. My processor likely held 30 gallons of water and also took hours to get to temperature.

On a hike I'll usually take one of Bruce's photo backpacker concertina film holder bags: so for 4x5" that gives me six holders, and 8x10" 3 holders. That's usually ample, but if I'm not too far from the car, I can always scamper back to grab another one. Between the two formats it's actually the same number of pictures, because I make two exposures of everything with 4x5" (insurance against user error), but of course I'd be bankrupt if I did that with 8x10... much...as..I... want...to...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

For 5x7 I can comfortably fit 6 in my bag. Usually for a day-long hike this is a good amount as I’m pickier about what I shoot with 5x7 than with 4x5. With 4x5, due to being able to process more sheets at a time, the smaller holder size, and cost differences, I would always shoot a backup. But with 5x7 I don’t, livin’ on the edge, I know. So 12 total shots on hand and often times my sweet wife will allow a box of 100 5x7 Delta 100 sheets, along with a changing bag, into her pack, just in case.
    “With great film size comes great responsibility”
    www.formlevelphoto.com

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Well, I thought this was ULF holders? So, in that respect I'll take 4 14x17 holders and 8 8x20 holders when I'm on a trip. Other holders come but they are not ULF.