Thread: enlarger conversions

enlarger conversions

Since the sourcing of an adustment system for the focusing stage is a pain right now. Perhaps i cant figure out the correct search term for something low cost..

Is it possible to remove the lamp/condenser unit from a beseler 67 enlarger, and use cardboard box to fit an intrepid 4x5 enlarger system onto it?

Or is it easier to cannibalize the lamp housing to accept commercially available via ebay condenser or diffuser lenses from a 4x5 enlarger and avoid the cost of having to purchase an intrepid enlarger system and copy stand? And get some extra rigidity to things?

The crappy diagrams online from beseler make it look like the Cadet II has enough metal in the film stage to actually have sufficient room to file it out to fit a 4x5 negative.

Drew Wiley

Re: enlarger conversions

Cardboard???????? Can't you think of anything better than that? Or do you like starting fires? Why not just look for a deal on a real 4x5 enlarger? I've turned down so many free ones that I can't even remember the quantity.

Get a 4x5 enlarger and quit horsing around with trying to retrofit the 67.

If you watch CL I'll bet you'll see 4x5 Beselers for under $200. (Often well under.) Avoid the early model where the support rods go outward where they interfere with the easel.

The only way i can find to get a beseler 45 through the online sites is if you can drive to them. Only a few places are "willing" to ship to a buyer, and the only companies they use... do not ship to residential address.

There are a few Omega for sale online that sellers WILL ship... one wants 300$ for the enlarger, but 800$ for shipping.

There is one that is only calculating by USPS weight costs... but for some reason the condenser lenses have strange chips along the outer edge against the metal housings...

Seller says that is "perfectly normal and fine", Would you guys say that is normal and fine? If not, how hard is it to replace the condensers

multiplex

find a local community college or school, they probably had a chemical photography program and have wanted to get rid of the 4x5 because it's taking up space . they might have a friend who has one in the basement that is what you want too. 800$ to ship is about right, greyhound shipping might be cheaper, and might be even cheaper to cast a 50-60 mile net and just drive 2 hours to pick it up on a weekend. bring a couple of prints you are proud of and have a cup of coffee or tea and share photography with the person you're buying from.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    find a local community college or school, they probably had a chemical photography program and have wanted to get rid of the 4x5 because it's taking up space . they might have a friend who has one in the basement that is what you want too. 800$ to ship is about right, greyhound shipping might be cheaper, and might be even cheaper to cast a 50-60 mile net and just drive 2 hours to pick it up on a weekend. bring a couple of prints you are proud of and have a cup of coffee or tea and share photography with the person you're buying from.
    Absolutely right. We're setting up a small community darkroom here in Maryland, and between getting everything from the local community college (they closed their darkroom) and donations through the local camera club, we now have 3 times the number of enlargers we have room for, which includes 6 or more 4x5 enlargers. And yes, setting a 60 mile radius in a Craigslist search should be a minimum distance to drive to get something good.

Can't tell from your sign up where you are. But CL can be focused to search within a radius that isn't onerous for going to pick something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Can't tell from your sign up where you are. But CL can be focused to search within a radius that isn't onerous for going to pick something up.
    well i tried craigslist, a 50 mile radius was bringing listings that according to google maps, are roughly 450 miles from the zipcode i used on the search..

But happily i just ordered an Omega D2. All i need to do is get a lens,, grrr, and a new bulb for it. And i need to come up with a stand for it.. no base board included. But im thinking it wont be hard to drill holes in a microwave cart from Amazon.

Just wish i had the means to unload a delivery truck. Someone is selling an Omega D series enlarger on the factory floor mount stand.

When I was compiling my gear

I scoured a 500 mile radius

I had a van, but could not load or unload

Sellers loaded and I did not tell or ask

I never got out of the van

They did it gladly as I was in a wheelchair and they wanted it gone!

My 10' SS LN DR Sink barely fit with a hard slam
    Tin Can