Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
Not to discourage anyone from seeking out the amazing offerings from Durst...but my own quest for a 5x7 enlarger began with a search for a 138...and what I found was a confusing array of various components from various sources - and a number of "complete" units which had been cobbled together in the interest of what had been the specific needs of the seller...needs which did not match my own. In other words, Durst has over time created such a vast array of accessories and choices that for someone like me, who just wanted to get something simple and straightforward...my search for a Durst 138 indicated that it would likely be anything but - unless I were to luck out with a complete unit which was used non professionally by a likeminded individual.

So when the Zone VI series 2 appeared (as I'd mentioned earlier), as a relatively simple, "standard" setup with its XL column and VC head...in "as new" condition for a great price...I made the choice to go in that direction, and am glad I did!

But I will reiterate my earlier thought about Durst and DeVere enlargers...that had the condition of the Zone VI not been as "stellar" as was mine when I purchased it - I'd have continued my search for a Durst or DeVere - because they are solid and precise enough to be brought back to factory spec even if they'd been pounded on previously.

Edit: not to imply that the Zone VI is not a very sturdy machine, as my example certainly is!
I found same setup, Zone VI type 2, a 5x7 and an 8x10. In really beautiful shape. I moved both by myself with a Subaru. I have these in my basement darkroom built into a extremely sturdy setting.
Before this I had a couple Elwoods, wonderful old workhorses. I would go for a Devere if I was young and famous but the Zone VI enlargers with their cold VC heads are terrific.