Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
Nikko is beautiful and worthwhile but check how much time it takes and whether it fits into your five day trip. I’m more into temple / natural Japan myself...
Definitely -- it would eat a full day, but a great way to see some of the countryside from the train (2 hours each way). Once in Nikko, we walked, but busses can take people to the World Heritage Site (temples/shines) just up the road. It was a busy place (and around New Years is a busy time), but we came across a path that lead away from the main temples and up to a hilltop shrine, then down to some falls, creeks and temples/shines amongst the cedars -- and no one else around. It was my temple highlight of the trip.

We got a package deal thru the rail company that got us the train tickets and bus passes. We stayed overnight in Nikko at a hostel and had another full day to take the bus up past Lake Chuzenji for a nice hike before taking the bus back down and catching the train back to Tokyo. The bus ride up and back is what we use to call an E-Ticket ride (referring to the best rides at Disneyland). Sit in the front!

But one can easily spend 5 days in Tokyo, wandering around the big parks, temples, small neighborhoods, and eating a different type of wonderful food every meal. Or pick up snacks or a coffee at one of the thousand convience stores (7-11, Lawson, Family Mart). Lots of eBikes to rent all around Tokyo with an app for your phone, too.

Have fun!!!