Thread: Trying Out EMA

Trying Out EMA

Steve Sherman's, Extreme Minimal Agitation... aka....semi-stand, with CatLABS 80 8x10 sheet film.

Re: Trying Out EMA

My experimentation with EMA does work very well in separating similar tones. But for the majority of what I shoot I don't need it. I like it especially when I need to expand contrast and edge definitions. Like textures on a gray rock with gray tree roots, or soft clouds on a southern blue sky.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Trying Out EMA

Andrew I think you should give EMA another chance...but with subject matter equal or a bit closer (in terms of tones and textures) to what Eric describes above.

I suggest this also because I've visited Steve Sherman at his home and darkroom, and have seen up close some of his negatives (and resulting prints) of his EMA work - and for those subjects featuring large areas of middle tones in particular, it is the micro-contrasts within these broader mid-tones which seem to truly benefit from this (EMA) treatment.

Just observation mind you...as while I do occasionally utilize "minimal agitation" protocols (in open trays) for certain negatives, I've yet to go "full EMA," for which, in my understanding, I'll need to invest in some sort of tubes to allow for vertically oriented resting between agitation cycles.

At any rate...thanks again for yet another very informative (and entertaining!) video!