Thread: Shutter Repair for Copal 1?

Shutter Repair for Copal 1?

I have a Nikkor 150SW in a copal 1 shutter. It was bought years ago in "fair" condition and is still in the same "fair" condition. When I received it the shutter cocking lever was broken (I bought it knowing that) and was/is still usable. I thought maybe I should try to get it fixed. Also, it doesn't return after cocked, but again still usable. I have a couple of options, send it in for repair (looking for repair shop suggestions) or do I replace the Copal 1 shutter (I have a 210 Caltar in a Copal 1) and get new scales engraved for it. I figure the Caltar 210 5.6 is worth in the ballpark of $195 but new scales would cost (I'm guessing here) about $60 to $70 each. Just trying to weight the pros and cons. Any suggestions, ideas? Here's a pic of the broken part of the shutter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nikkor150.jpg  

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Shutter Repairfor Copal 1?

If the broken end doesn't bother you (it wouldn't bother me), I'd just send the shutter for an overhaul and if the repair shop just happens to have a replacement part then that would be an additional bonus. If not, the old part still performs its intended function.

Re: Shutter Repair for Copal 1?

You'll get better responses if you post this in the REPAIR sub-FORUM.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You'll get better responses if you post this in the REPAIR sub-FORUM.
    Better, or more?

Yes.

Jim, any reason you can’t swap the scales on the two shutters? The shutter on the 150 looks beat to heck, so I’d be inclined to swap the shutters, you just need to make sure you get the spacing correct. Also considering the value of the 150SW and especially if you need scales engraved, I wouldn’t hesitate to send everything to SK Grimes and have them do the work. I had the do scales and swap my 150 G-Claron from a barrel to a shutter and was very pleased with the results. Just my two cents.

Since they aren't making any more of them, I think shutters should be repaired where possible. Of course I have several that could use a technician's attention, but that's a different story.
    Carol Flutot has a very good reputation, but I would imagine that any competent rapid shop would be able to service a Copal shutter.
    SK Grimes, as excellent as they are, no longer services shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Jim, any reason you can’t swap the scales on the two shutters? The shutter on the 150 looks beat to heck, so I’d be inclined to swap the shutters, you just need to make sure you get the spacing correct. Also considering the value of the 150SW and especially if you need scales engraved, I wouldn’t hesitate to send everything to SK Grimes and have them do the work. I had the do scales and swap my 150 G-Claron from a barrel to a shutter and was very pleased with the results. Just my two cents.
    Roger,

I was thinking something along your idea. There will be a day somewhere in the future when this lens will move on to a new owner. I'm thinking the new looking shutter and scales certainly won't hurt its value. I'll email SK Grimes and ask what two new scales will cost. Thanks. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Since they aren't making any more of them, I think shutters should be repaired where possible. Of course I have several that could use a technician's attention, but that's a different story.
    Carol Flutot has a very good reputation, but I would imagine that any competent rapid shop would be able to service a Copal shutter.
    SK Grimes, as excellent as they are, no longer services shutters.
    Mark,

Also a very good point. Thanks.