Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know the Type of Black Paint Used on Modern Omega 4x5 Negative Carriers?

Beverly Hills, California

Anyone Know the Type of Black Paint Used on Modern Omega 4x5 Negative Carriers?

Hi, guys anyone out there familiar with the type of black paint used on the top coat of modern Omega negative carrier for 4x5 enlargers? (ie, flat back, ultra flat black, satin, etc .) I assume it's an oil based enamel (vs water based acrylic). Correct?

(Background: I just bought an OLD custom-sized, unpainted aluminum Simmon Omega negative carrier because the cutout opening is a few millimeters smaller than the actual image area of the negative. I want this feature because of the artifact this produces on the printed image edges.

However I do not like the black border that a highly reflective negative carrier surface such as unpainted aluminum would create, so I wish to professionally paint my negative carrier's aluminum surface with the appropriate type of black paint to block light reflections creating a black border. I originally thought to go with an ultra flat black top coat and call it a day, but am concerned ultra flat black would prove to be abrasive and scratch the silver side of the negative during handling or would not wear well). Looking at my own 4x5 omega carriers the paint seems like some type of non reflective style at the very least and not glossy.

My goal is to paint it with the least reflective black enamel paint that is also durable safe for the surface of the negative during normal handling. Or simply default to the exact type of paint Omega used in their modern carriers.

(As I understand it, I would need to first paint a bottom layer directly of self etching primer before applying the black top coat.).

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Andre

Re: Anyone Know the Type of Black Paint Used on Modern Omega 4x5 Negative Carriers?

I would assume they are anodized -- which is an electrolytic process, not paint -- but in your situation, I'd use matte black enamel. You might want to consider using a coat of some aluminum primer first -- Rustoleum -- to make it stick better.

Re: Anyone Know the Type of Black Paint Used on Modern Omega 4x5 Negative Carriers?

Hello, thanks for your input.

My lone Saunders negative carrier is definitely are anodized.
    My Omega carriers look like a really nice paint job. (not 100% sure though).
    These are really nice pieces of gear. I have been away from this hobby about 7 years.
    Looking at my darkroom gear I realize we came from a good era. ��

Thanks for the link. I watched the video. That guy has a really advanced shop. My shop is at the very beginning stages - not there yet.

All my Omega D5500 carriers are anodized. I do recall seeing some Omega carriers painted white (on the top) and black on the bottom. I'd go glossy as it might be easier to keep clean.

You can see how the black paint has chipped on the edges so this one is not anodized.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	247071

I'll second the suggestion for a good spray aluminum primer followed by a good-quality flat-black spray paint. I've done that with several negative carriers and have never had a scratching problem. (The negative image area is in the hole anyway...). Easier to do than anodizing and easily repairable if needed.

For a down-and-dirty solution to reflections from the edges, though, I've been known to pull out the black Sharpie...

Best,

Doremus

Hey ic-racer I have the Pro Lab D5500 enlarger too. Nice enlarger though somehow one of the internal rubber rollers rotted away years ago. I converted it into a "cold light head" with some flashed diffuse opal glass and a computer fan because had to use 150W and 250W bulbs.
    The single piece negative stage on mine is definitely anodized but all my 8 or so omega carriers look professionally painted to my eye.

Thanks Doremus. Sounds like a plan.

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    ... (The negative image area is in the hole anyway...)
    I decide to practice on an existing negative carrier in which the hole was worn down to the aluminum (from carrying the carrier around with aa finger).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240224_131156.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	247086