Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridal Falls Provincial Park

Bridal Falls Provincial Park

Re: Bridal Falls Provincial Park

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Nice video Andrew. Question, how did you know the old meter was the right calibration?

One thing I learned about calibrating things years ago, don't know if it applies to meters but probably does. You want to check at the high end, middle, and low end of the scale because the differences can vary depending on where you take the reading. Then you might want to average the differences before making the change. Anyway good luck with it., Nice shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Nice video Andrew. Question, how did you know the old meter was the right calibration?

One thing I learned about calibrating things years ago, don't know if it applies to meters but probably does. You want to check at the high end, middle, and low end of the scale because the differences can vary depending on where you take the reading. Then you might want to average the differences before making the change. Anyway good luck with it., Nice shots.
    There is an easy way to calibrate the L-588. I calibrated it to my Minolta F. I then checked it off of a grey card, in the shadows, and highlights.

Really enjoying all of the videos dropping lately, Andrew. A question that I had from this one, though: what’s the best way to goose HP5+ into a density range appropriate for, say, salt printing? I’m currently using the bog standard combo of FP4+ and Pyrocat HD, but have a box of HP5 lying about—and from what I gather, I’ll need to try a different developer…D-19, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Really enjoying all of the videos dropping lately, Andrew. A question that I had from this one, though: what’s the best way to goose HP5+ into a density range appropriate for, say, salt printing? I’m currently using the bog standard combo of FP4+ and Pyrocat HD, but have a box of HP5 lying about—and from what I gather, I’ll need to try a different developer…D-19, perhaps?
    HP5 sadly is not a good choice (in my opinion) due to the longer DR required for several alt. processes. When the development time is extended, the base+fog increases considerably than a film like FP4. High base fog is kind of a no no. Trying to print through it usually just results in solarised blacks when making kallitypes. I have had success making carbon transfer prints by using a high contrast developer, such as D19. Now, in regards to salt prints, I have never made one, so I cannot comment... but if the DR must be long, and I imagine it is, then you might want to consider using a high contrast developer, if your regular developer you use for FP4, isn't giving you decent results.

Much obliged, Andy—I might burn a couple of sheets, then call it a day. . Otherwise I look forward to more
    YT content…last time I was surprised to learn BC had cacti!

Andrew what do you think about Tmax 100 vs Tmax 400 vs others?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Andrew what do you think about Tmax 100 vs Tmax 400 vs others?
    That is something that I need to look at more closely. I have been planning to take out some TMX, and TMY, as well as Delta 100 and 400, for a comparison.

Andrew, the (type of) environment you'd worked in that video is one of my very favorites...deep forest with lots of great "water features." Interesting, though...how certain things (like those large, high falls), can seem like they might be inspiring, but for some reason are just not so, at least on that particular visit.

Close to home here in Vermont...I tend to head over to New Hampshire's White Mountains to seek out such environments. There is a particular falls up in Franconia Notch, on a the Falling Waters Trail, called Cloudland Falls - which much reminds me of the large falls that you'd decided not to photograph in your video, and I also was actually quite uninspired at first by Cloudland...especially seeing as how what at first seemed my only available vantage point had me looking upwards at a steep angle.

But on another visit, I discovered that there was indeed a location...slightly beside these falls, which was high enough to view and photograph them from about mid-level, at which point things started to work:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloudland Falls.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	247063

But this being the only image of this falls that has "worked" for me so far, as what is basically a fairly straightforward view of the entire falls...I now feel I'd like to return to look a bit more closely.

At any rate...what I'd found interesting about your large falls was the feeling of bright mist around that diagonal log - created by water bouncing off of it. But its easy for me to imagine photographing this feature...and another thing entirely to actually being there and seeing if it could actually work!

Speaking of which - I'd love to get out to your neck of the woods at some point...has been on my "bucket list" for years!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Andrew, the (type of) environment you'd worked in that video is one of my very favorites...deep forest with lots of great "water features." Interesting, though...how certain things (like those large, high falls), can seem like they might be inspiring, but for some reason are just not so, at least on that particular visit.

Close to home here in Vermont...I tend to head over to New Hampshire's White Mountains to seek out such environments. There is a particular falls up in Franconia Notch, on a the Falling Waters Trail, called Cloudland Falls - which much reminds me of the large falls that you'd decided not to photograph in your video, and I also was actually quite uninspired at first by Cloudland...especially seeing as how what at first seemed my only available vantage point had me looking upwards at a steep angle.

But on another visit, I discovered that there was indeed a location...slightly beside these falls, which was high enough to view and photograph them from about mid-level, at which point things started to work:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloudland Falls.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	247063

But this being the only image of this falls that has "worked" for me so far, as what is basically a fairly straightforward view of the entire falls...I now feel I'd like to return to look a bit more closely.

At any rate...what I'd found interesting about your large falls was the feeling of bright mist around that diagonal log - created by water bouncing off of it. But its easy for me to imagine photographing this feature...and another thing entirely to actually being there and seeing if it could actually work!

Speaking of which - I'd love to get out to your neck of the woods at some point...has been on my "bucket list" for years!
    Lovely photography, John. I did stare at the log at the bottom of my falls, but there was just way too much water, mist, and wind coming at me, that I decided to save it for late Summer, early Autumn, when the elements should be calmer.
    If you are ever out this way, be sure to contact me!