Thread: Scovill Printing Frame format?

Scovill Printing Frame format?

(also posted on another forum)

I bought this from a gentleman from an online forum for a very reasonable price. He thought it was a whole plate contact printing frame, but it is clearly not.

Happy with the purchase no matter what, but I am trying to determine what exact format this frame might be.

Marked "Scovill MFG. Co. NY" and "PAT APL'D FOR" under the time/exposure dial on the back; otherwise no other markings.

The front glass aperture measures 4 1/2 inches by 7 5/8 inches, but the back is 5 x 8.

I could not find an exact match on this site:

Plate sizes - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
    camera-wiki.org

On the "Wooden Field View Cameras of the United States: An Identification Guide" site, I found a "76" camera style that seems to match, even to the maker's stamp.

Scovill Mfg. Co. The 76 Camera Variation 3.0 (Scovill Version)

Is this a proprietary format unique to Scovill/American Optical Cameras or was it more Universal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scovill 1.jpg   Scovill 2.jpg   Scovill 3.jpg  
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Re: Scovill Printing Frame format?

Contact frames are usually bigger than the Plate/film size to accomodate the paper. Especially back then when they were using older processes like Salt printing / Carbon where a border, non-coated part of the paper is important.