Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting expired Tri-x 6years old ?

Shooting expired Tri-x 6years old ?

I found some 4x5 tri-x I had forgotten about since I moved 8 years ago and some Tmax 400 as well about 250 sheets It was in a box in my attached garage. Should I use it or ??? If I use it what do I do? Has it lost much speed? will it have fog? Any recommendations on how to best use it. I know I will be experimenting but I would like a baseline to begin with
    Thanks

Re: Shooting expired Tri-x 6years old ?

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I found some 4x5 tri-x I had forgotten about since I moved 8 years ago and some Tmax 400 as well about 250 sheets It was in a box in my attached garage. Should I use it or ??? If I use it what do I do? Has it lost much speed? will it have fog? Any recommendations on how to best use it. I know I will be experimenting but I would like a baseline to begin with
    Thanks
    If it was stored for 8 years in a garage, where it undoubtedly got extremely hot in the summer months (I'm well aware how hot Toronto gets in the summer), then you can be sure the film is damaged - possibly beyond usability. Yes, it will be badly fogged. Yes, it will suffer at least a stop in speed. Yes, it will probably have all manner of marks and mottling once developed. The only way to know for sure is test a few sheets. Expose at 200 ASA and develop normally. But I expect you'll only throw it out once you see the result - assuming it's been exposed to a lot of temperature extremes.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Try a few sheets and see what happens. Only you can be the judge. 15 minutes of your time and you will have the definitive answer.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

How it was stored will likely have an effect. But as I reported recently, I was given some 4x5 TXP 523 film pack that expired in the mid-70s. Exposed at about E! 20 to get past the fog, it still produces excellent results. So I'll say that you have a good chance of success.

Hmm EI 20 for olde Tri-X film pack... Sounds like a good starting place for me.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    Thanks
    sounds like a fun find! definitely try it, it's the kind of film that people look for on Eboink so their IG uploads don't look "basic" .. can't AI / PS messed up film
    Last edited by jnantz; 17-Feb-2024 at 14:41.

If that film has sat for 6 years in a Toronto garage, it's been exposed to temperatures as low as minus 20F to as high as 120F. Don't expect the film to fare well after 6 years of that.

Test it!

Six years? Heck, I've got a batch of 11x14 Tri-X with an expiration date of June, 1988! Been around since then too...in a number of hot attics and cold garages - and it works! A bit of fog for sure, but I find that if I downrate the ISO to 50, add 50 percent to my development time, and agitate a bit more "vigorously" than I usually might - that its quite useable! And my last sheet I processed using a batch of HC-110, generously given to me by a forum member...dating back to 1978 - and it also works!

I also have a stock of 4x5 TMX, given to me by a photographer friend, which dates to 2015 (so closer to the age of your film), and all I need to do with this is cut the ISO in half (close to how I'd rate it if it were fresh) - and add about 15 percent to the development time and it works great...with almost no fog to speak of.

Do keep in mind that other folks' mileage may vary - and I'm sure that you'll get some further great suggestions about what's worked well for them.

But to begin, given your film's particular age and history...plus the fact that you have lots of sheets - I'd test first by doing everything you normally would as if the film were fresh...to give yourself a baseline from which to move forward, and which you can label (along with any further tests) and keep for future reference.

I think that it will be the luck of the draw. I had some old tri-x that was useless, but some even older fp-4 that was fine . . . Go figure. Test and see where you’re at.

Thank You for the information. I will trya couple of sheets and find out