Thread: I wish I'd known about this!

I wish I'd known about this!

I'd love to have captured the event on film:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...ac6a64cd&ei=11
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Re: I wish I'd known about this!

I probably grew up with a few of those individuals, or at least their parents. But this assemblage, if correctly reported, had ancestors from totally different language families, who sometimes traded, but often were mortal enemies of one another instead, and now are of highly dilute ancestry in most cases anyway. And none of the listed ones were resident in Sequoia itself. Ironic. When FS supervised control burns were still standard practice, we all cooperated together each summer to create firebreaks using fire - neighborhood Indians as well as whites. That practice was stopped due to air quality rules. But the result was wildfires of such large scale that it became a lot worse, even before all the current climate impacts.

Aboriginally, they'd stash their valuables under big rocks, and then light up the grass and brush just before leaving for the cooler high country each summer. That would keep their trails and meadows open, and attract more game like deer, along with a greater variety of useful plants. Down there lower to the Valley floor, where the Blasingame Ranch now is (or was?), they'd combine range fires with antelope stampedes over the nearby bluffs.