Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Time Photographing During A Snow

Hard Time Photographing During A Snow

Hard time, but enjoyed it immensely!

Re: Hard Time Photographing During A Snow

You need a Xlarge Double Double and a Dutchie after this !! Greetings from King City, On.

Kinda cold by me

scant snow this year
    Tin Can

This had me on the edge of my seat...thinking - how on earth will Andrew keep his film dry? And oh my goodness...the logistics of doing LF photography in such conditions!

But there are those times...during the height of a "snow event," that the siren song is loud and clear...and one must act! Regardless!

At any rate, Andrew...kudos for getting usable results - and I trust that you enjoyed those donuts, which were, as you'd implied...well deserved!

That was hilarious
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

masochist noun Definition: ....
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Like that tent!

Wasn't there some kind of tent that you'd basically throw up in the air, upon which it would "un-pop" itself, and land on the ground as a fully erected tent? Or did I dream this? Hmmm...

Call me obsessive, but, leaving in the Beautiful Province of Quebec (well, this is what our slogan says, but don't even ask me how it is beautiful), my cameras don't go out during winter season. I understand than, sometimes, winter can be beautiful, especially when trees are all white, covered in snow or ice, but my analog cameras stays inside my comfy apartment.

I sacrifice my digital camera instead. I don't like it anyway

Back in the day I'd freeze my Leicas when it was snowing outside...by either leaving them in an open garage or even in the kitchen freezer (in a baggie so they wouldn't ice over on the way outside) - after which the snow would just tumble off unmelted and I could photograph to my hearts content. Did the same with Blads (w/eye level prism), but their mirror mechanisms would tend to slow up a bit.

Back in December of 2004, I left an L-45A by itself, for about an hour, on the summit of Mt. Washington - letting it ice up thoroughly after which it worked perfectly...so there is that! The "dark cloth" in the photo is crafted from a very high tech material...Duct Tape! - carefully designed to "spill" the ever present wind on and around the summit (home of "the worst weather in the world"). The "aerodynamic" design of the camera helped it to spill the wind also...with the lightweight bellows actually helpful in that it would vibrate about delicately, without transferring any shock to the camera. The icy looking lens is my trusty 120 SA, with which I took the second photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L-45A on summit.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	246793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mt. W. Storm.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	246794

Oh...and while the camera was out freezing for an hour by itself - I was staying warm and toasty inside...with the summit crew at their weather station! Stayed there for five days actually as their guest.

Morning After Edit: Relative to what I'd experienced on top of Mt. Washington...it bears pointing out that Andrew had a much greater challenge than I (his access to donuts notwithstanding ) - in that he was dealing with active, WET snow, while my film holders were cold and dry enough that there was no issue with water seeping into them - so long as I made sure to secure them into (moisture-proof) ziplocks prior to bringing them indoors and leaving them "zipped up" until they'd had a chance to warm to room temp.
    Last edited by John Layton; 18-Feb-2024 at 04:49.