Thread: Marks in 4x5 film edge after developing

Marks in 4x5 film edge after developing

Hello,
    I developed my first batch of 4x5 film and noticed that some negatives had large marks on the side. I suspect this can be caused by the Patterson holder (red and round holding up to 6 sheets of film).
    I have been developing 35mm and 6x6 for a long time with consistent results. The only new things are a larger tank and the 4x5 holder.

Has anyone seen this before? And do you think it could be the film holder? I also consider it could be a light leak; could it be?

I'm also experiencing long marks top to bottom that I never had before on the smaller tank with rolls. Any suggestion? I used Ilford ID-11 inverting four times each minute.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-02-4x5-Image 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	246666

Re: Marks in 4x5 film edge after developing

The two marks on either side look like what can happen with the MOD54 holder so that’s probably the red thing you have. Make sure the emulsion side faces inward. Aside from that, the image overall looks quite badly mottled. Assuming the film was ok to begin with that would tend to indicate a processing issue related to agitation or sheets getting stuck together, that sort of thing.

Agitation periods should not be too gentle. Don’t splash developer all over your darkroom, but give it a go. Times between agitations should be very still.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    The two marks on either side look like what can happen with the MOD54 holder so that’s probably the red thing you have. Make sure the emulsion side faces inward. Aside from that, the image overall looks quite badly mottled. Assuming the film was ok to begin with that would tend to indicate a processing issue related to agitation or sheets getting stuck together, that sort of thing.
    Thank you. I didn't think about the orientation. I must have placed some sheets correctly and a few incorrectly because I only got these marks on some negatives. I'll pay attention on my next developing batch.
    Regarding the marks, when you say agitation problems, would this not be enough agitation?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad . Marvin View Post
    Agitation periods should not be too gentle. Don’t splash developer all over your darkroom, but give it a go. Times between agitations should be very still.
    Thank you. I agitated the same way I do it on my 6x6 and 35mm. But this being a larger tank I might have done it more gently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-Pierre View Post
    Thank you. I didn't think about the orientation. I must have placed some sheets correctly and a few incorrectly because I only got these marks on some negatives. I'll pay attention on my next developing batch.
    Regarding the marks, when you say agitation problems, would this not be enough agitation?
    As I don't know how is your experience with the MOD54, to be sure you installed the film on the right position, the notched part of the film must be on the top left, or where the grooves on the "oval" holder are.

You can follow this instruction to help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKcyevwJITg

Have a nice day!