Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Developing tank

4x5 Developing tank

Hi,

I started developing my first 4x5 negatives, but I notice the slots for my 4x5 tank are scratching the film on the edges. I'm using a RF developing tank. Do the tanks with hangers work better?

Attachment 246655 FR developing processing tank.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l960 (9).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	246656
    Last edited by Csholl; 15-Feb-2024 at 13:46.

multiplex

Re: 4x5 Developing tank

hi csholl
    tanks and hangers might be better but bad ones can cause marks on film too ..
    that's why I switched to shuffling in a tray but .. that has it's own set of problems ..
    good luck with your processing !
    John

I had an FR tank when i first got back into 4x5 not long ago, but I never used it, and sold it off on ebay. (maybe it was to you...) I eventually went with a 3D printed 4x5 reel from B's (https://www.bounetphoto.com/bounet-designs-analog-shop) in a Patterson tank. It can process up to 6 sheets at a time. (B's also offers a reel for 2x3 sheet film which I also bought.) If I had known about the Stearman Press FP-445 tank that can handle up to 4 sheets of 4x5 at a time I may have gone that route. But I already had the Patterson tank on hand, and I have found the B's reel VERY easy to load.
    Last edited by Offhand35; 16-Feb-2024 at 06:18. Reason: Comment added

I wonder

Didn’t Pros shoot with wide margins?

To allow for edge effects?

and allow for image shifting
    Tin Can

Tanks & hangers will certainly work, but you have to process in the dark and results can vary. Many photographers use these successfully, but, personally, after many tries at it I never arrived at an agitation method that worked for me. YMMV, of course. That said, if you're going to process in total darkness you may as well develop in trays.

You may find that your current tank will work fine after experimenting with different agitation styles. I have a Nikkor-style 4x5 stainless steel tank that produced areas of increased density on the negative from the band around the center. However, after wasting a few sheets of film (maybe, not something you wish to do nowadays!) I found an agitation method that resulted in beautifully clean evenly developed negatives. If you want to skip all this effort and stick with a daylight-style tank I'd recommend looking at the SP-445 or SP-645 from Stearman Press. The B's reel mentioned above certainly will work, but, personally, I haven't found it particularly easy to load and it leaves anti-halation dye on the film where it presses against the reel. This can be easily removed with HCA, but it's another step. And, I develop a lot with pyro where HCA is not recommended.

It is true about the B's reel leaving some of anti-halation dye on the back of some films, leading to an additional step. It can be pretty annoying, though I now plan for it, particularly with ARISTA or FOMA films. I just save the poured off developer to dip the films into after fixing and washing to remove the anti-halation remnants. This is per B's instruction sheet.

my SS Tanks have covers and i can turn on the lights

I am an excitable Old boy

they are hard to find

also heavy to ship

i gots doubles of it all

JIC

2 points if you know my 2 coded message
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand35 View Post
    I had an FR tank when i first got back into 4x5 not long ago, but I never used it, and sold it off on ebay. (maybe it was to you...) I eventually went with a 3D printed 4x5 reel from B's (https://www.bounetphoto.com/bounet-designs-analog-shop) in a Patterson tank. It can process up to 6 sheets at a time. (B's also offers a reel for 2x3 sheet film which I also bought.) If I had known about the Stearman Press FP-445 tank that can handle up to 4 sheets of 4x5 at a time I may have gone that route. But I already had the Patterson tank on hand, and I have found the B's reel VERY easy to load.
    Eh, I have a Steaman 445 and mine (despite having the newest holders) still has the common issue of negative sticking / touching / etc the holders and leaving oblong "slats" on the negatives. Seems to happen often - so I am going to modify my holders to avoid the issue.

Yes... I'm thinking about doing trays too. I thought of getting some very small trays and making up an oblong structure with some spare wood, and then wrapping it with a sheet or two. Then cut holes for gloves and develop like that. Hopefully, trays aren't too difficult. I'm hoping the film doesn't scratch too easily doing it like that as long as I'm careful with rubber gloves and have it laid out properly. also, small trays I don't need a lot of developer unlike big tanks. Anyhow, I'll try it. I don't want to go through all that work and have marks on my expensive film.

Just a note from a happy Stearman 445 user: They make a 6-sheet model now, too.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/