Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Alabama!

Hello from Alabama!

Hey everyone,

My name is Pete Halupka. I've been making photographs since I was a teenager skateboarding, and am coming to this forum after a decade or more without shooting any film. I was primarily shooting food and beverage digitally. Previous to that though I was heavily involved in art photography of all kinds on 35, medium and 4x5.

I'm currently building up my 8x10 setup and am applying for a grant to photograph a local mining community. Right now I'm investigating using all paper negatives. So hello! Thanks to Cary Norton for sending me here. I grew up on a skateboard photography forum called SkatePerception so this is like home to me.

www.petehalupka.com

Cheers

Re: Hello from Alabama!

Excellent, my wife and I taught at UAB during the 90’s before moving up the road to UT-Knoxville—Alabama really is a great place to explore. Given your mining project, I’m assuming you’re in the Cullman/Walker Co. area?

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, my wife and I taught at UAB during the 90’s before moving up the road to UT-Knoxville—Alabama really is a great place to explore. Given your mining project, I’m assuming you’re in the Cullman/Walker Co. area?
    Just south in Birmingham! How cool you lived here. Were you shooting large format in Birmingham?

Small town, South Carolina, US

I lived in Birmingham in the late 60's early 70's. Went to UAB at night. Go back twice a year to visit - haven't had time to do much photography though.

Ha, given that Sloss Furnace has become a photo destination of sorts, I could have staked out the territory ahead of the crowd since it was within walking distance of my house. (Otherwise, most of my free time was spent banging around the uplands of the the Talladega and Sipsey NF’s, mostly with a flyrod in-hand.)

Otherwise, I have to say that UAB was my most rewarding teaching experience—a lot of returning students, often first generation, many active duty dot.mil types, even a few retired med school faculty…nary a snowflake amongst them.

At any rate, the OP might like to check out the work of LF member Don Dudenbostel—he’s made a long career of documenting life here in East Tennessee, often IIRC with a Sinar Norma 8x10.

loujon

Welcome aboard Pete! We're glad you have joined our little group and I for one look forward to seeing your coming work on your local mining community living in a once very active coal mining area of Western Pa. USA

Peace

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    I lived in Birmingham in the late 60's early 70's. Went to UAB at night. Go back twice a year to visit - haven't had time to do much photography though.
    Love that! I hope to see you in the streets with your LF!

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Ha, given that Sloss Furnace has become a photo destination of sorts, I could have staked out the territory ahead of the crowd since it was within walking distance of my house. (Otherwise, most of my free time was spent banging around the uplands of the the Talladega and Sipsey NF’s, mostly with a flyrod in-hand.)

Otherwise, I have to say that UAB was my most rewarding teaching experience—a lot of returning students, often first generation, many active duty dot.mil types, even a few retired med school faculty…nary a snowflake amongst them.

At any rate, the OP might like to check out the work of LF member Don Dudenbostel—he’s made a long career of documenting life here in East Tennessee, often IIRC with a Sinar Norma 8x10.
    Thanks for that connection. UAB is a great school. Look forward to connecting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Welcome aboard Pete! We're glad you have joined our little group and I for one look forward to seeing your coming work on your local mining community living in a once very active coal mining area of Western Pa. USA

Peace

My great great grandfather immigrated through Ellis Island from around Czech/Hungary/Poland and landed in Western PA to mine. He died in a coal mine fire there. Ill keep you posted!! I'm applying for a grant to help fund the work at this time.