Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland Trip: Wet Weather Hints Medium Format

Scotland Trip: Wet Weather Hints Medium Format

I will be taking a cruise around Scotland in a few months. Because I will be with groups on shore excursions each day I will not take my 4x5, but instead my second favorite, a Rollei 6008 (if you are unfamiliar with Rollei single-lens cameras, very similar to a Hasselblad). So my questions are not where to go, but the "how's." With 21 rainy days a month, we will be wet a lot. Other than trying to keep a plastic bag around the camera (a bit problematic given the "chimney" viewfinder and access to the lens), any suggestions for dealing with the rain? And in cloudy, grey conditions, any suggestions for filters (or not to use filters)? I will be using only B&W film, pretty sure my standard Ilford HP5+. All thoughts welcome!

Re: Scotland Trip: Wet Weather Hints Medium Format

Couple things come to mind that I usually carry in such situations:
    - A good umbrella (not only blocks rain, but also light)
    - Possibly a good wide-brimmed hat (though that can get tricky if it is also windy)
    - Dry Microfiber cloths in individual plastic bags for wiping off once wet
    - Cotton swabs for teasing water out of nooks and crannies as needed
    - Pull everything out of the wet bag at night to dry
    - Consider some dessicant packs or something similar to put in the bag
    - Individual plastic film canisters to keep the film in...so you don't have to risk the whole lot when going to reload

I spent a year at the University of St Andrews.....While I was there, it rained most days, but it was brief. What wasn't brief, though, was the wind. The university advised students not to bring umbrellas, as it was too windy.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I think you may have the wrong conception of 'rainy' - it's more that you can get all 4 seasons in an hour, delivered horizontally. If the weather really turns, it's not a case of bagging up the camera, as much as knowing where you can take shelter, fast!

Take a proper all weather camera bag (Billingham is a good choice) that you can extract the camera from and put back easily. HP5+ will be fine, bring whatever filters you like. If you can outline where/ when you're getting let loose on-shore, might be able to give some additional weather advice. Otherwise, not worth overthinking the weather aspect.

That said, umbrellas come to Scotland to die. Their flayed entrails are a common sight.

Big Negs Rock!

You can take a large freezer bag and cut holes in it and use rubber bands to keep it tight around the view finder & lens. Use something else to cover the lens & viewfinder. Not the best, but it'll work.

Good luck!
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    What wasn't brief, though, was the wind
    The city centre is relatively sheltered, but then you have to go to somewhere on The Scores...

St. Andrews is the dry part of Scotland !
    When are you going ?
    Spring is the best time for weather overall but there are no guarantees.
    It's a shame you are not taking any colour, because even compared to England and Wales, the colours are VIVID in Scotland. When the light is there it's stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I spent a year at the University of St Andrews.....The university advised students not to bring umbrellas, as it was too windy.
    Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    ...umbrellas come to Scotland to die. Their flayed entrails are a common sight.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I wouldn’t worry about the rain so much, because if you’re on the west coast and it rains it’s either gonna be so windy that youre going to want to bail to the nearest pub/cafe, OR if it’s raining and still then that will bring the midges out and then photography will be the last thing on your mind (may-sept is the midge season, outside of that time they wont be around.

What I would say is dont take an oldschool canvas type bag like a billingham. Get something like a lowepro or thinktank that dries fast, sythetic fabric that doesn’t absorb and hold water, that has one of those built in rain covers that you can whip over the entire bag in the event of weather changing fast - which it will. As a UK photographer i can tell you these raincovers have saved not only my camera but my entire bag from being drenched on many occasions over the years.

The biggest problem (by far) which tends to confront me as I attempt LF photography in a steady rain (or even thick fog) is keeping film holders dry while working with them, especially if there is any sort of breeze blowing rain and/or thick fog sideways. Just that little skim of moisture over the outside surface of a dark slide prior to exposure...knowing that I'll need to flip that around and jeopardize a hard-won image...encourages loud utterances of such language that would make even Dante's skin crawl.

And I'm constantly pulling my hair about this...because there are so many instances when and where the very reason for my strong response to a scene in front of me is that it also happens to be...raining/blowing/hailing/snowing/fogging, giving me an almost primal urge to make a photograph.

So I'm constantly trying to figure out new and different ways to keep LF film dry in such scenarios - umbrellas, kitchen bags, large contractor bags cut lengthwise to make a large "tent" over my camera (great for the camera and makes its own dark cloth but I still need to get my film in and out).

The only times I seem to succeed while its raining is if that rain is falling straight down, with minimal breeze, and I can keep my films dry in a Photo Backpacker Cascade case slung from my tripod, which is itself under the shadow of an umbrella.

But nature is usually throwing way more curves at me than simply allowing the rain to fall vertically. Often its ocean surf - crazy ocean surf in fog as I love working with those ingredients...and here I just need to understand that I may come back with - absolutely nothing useable (has happened a number of times).

But when things actually work...oh my goodness...and I'm reminded once again to never give up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View Towards East Rock copy 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	246511 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Island Tempest.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	246514 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pemaquid Surf.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	246513
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Star Island Tempest.jpg