Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Hello all,

Just found this forum when it was referenced on "large format friday" youtube video.

I am from Phoenix, AZ and shoot a variety of Digital and Film (25 / 120 / 4x5.) I have been a "photographer" of varying success for the last couple decades, mostly as a hobby and occasionally as a "professional."

I currently have a Toyo 45G that I bought a couple months ago. I was perusing facebook marketplace and a nice lady had put the Toyo up for sale in the same zip code, new in box for a very fair price so I couldn't pass it up even though I hadn't really considering shooting anything LF. I bought a Nikon 180mmF5.6 lens off ebay and have started learning the camera. I develop / scan all my film at home with a Epson V550 or a home-made "dslr rig" that I constructed from old 3D printer parts and a Sony Nex7 w/ Minolta 50mm macro (works great!)

I bought a F.64 large backpack after seeing a youtube content creator use one to carry his toyo around. Annoyingly he also had a 3d printed short rail - but failed to post the file so I 3d modeled one up, along with a ground glass protector and printed them. It all is quite handy for making the whole set up mobile. If any other Toyo owners here want the 3d files I am happy to share.

Anyways, excited to see the content post here.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Re: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by theAngryMarmot View Post
    I currently have a Toyo 45G that I bought a couple months ago ... I develop / scan all my film at home with a Epson V550 or a home-made "dslr rig" that I constructed from old 3D printer parts and a Sony Nex7 w/ Minolta 50mm macro (works great!)
    Now, get thee an enlarger and a wet darkroom.

With a high-end scanner and a high-end printer it is possible get good-to-passable results. But the meanest of darkroom gear, taking less time and less money, can result in superb prints.

And an enlarger, unlike software, does not constantly bug for upgrades - so many so that it needs new computer hardware to get the software upgrades to run (the denizens of LFF do all the darkroom upgrade bugging needed, but it can all be safely ignored).

Natch, either path takes a good bit of learning and practice.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm the owner/operator of an Omega 45D ( a Toyo).
    Lots of great info and inspiration here, and lots of knowledgeable people.
    One thing to check on your Toyo is the bellows..
    Toyo bellows are notorious for pinholes.
    Happy shooting!

loujon

Welcome to the group!

Glad you've joined us & I'll be looking forward to your contributions.

Peace

Greetings and salutations. I echo Mr. Pacilla, above.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Welcome. I have so much junk (treasure) it's impossible to list. Keep after it!

Hello welcome! I use it to then stamp it with dtf por metros

Loaded everything up in my F.64 Large bag.

Not only can it hold my Toyo 45G & filter set, stop watch, Minolta Spotmeter, dark cloth, misc stuff - but I can fit my Lumix G9, Oly 40-150 pro, and I threw the Minolta a7 35mm w/50mm2.8 in there for good measure.

Unfortunately the place I went is only open 9am - 4pm and it is rarely an overcast / cloudy day in AZ so I was stuck with overhead sunlight.

The main shot I wanted was interior of an old church.

Welcome to the group!

Looks like you're all set for this great adventure we call "photography" (and our spouses/partners call something else ).

Will you be shooting color, or black & white? I ask because I used a Minolta spot-meter for years before switching to a Zone-modified Pentax.

Enjoy the lens! Nikon lenses represent a great value IMHO. And 180mm is a good starting point.

Cheers!
    "I am not a technician and have no interest in technique for its own sake. If my technique is adequate to present my seeing, then I need nothing more.” Edward Weston

Mainly shoot black & white for the large format stuff, color for medium format and 35mm. I have been buying color 4x5 but since it is a bit pricey - I will save it till I have a few more successful adventures in B&W.

The Minolta Spotmeter F I have works well, I am pretty happy with it. I use it in conjunction with a phone for a "second opinion."