Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: \Grand Teton National Park and travel east accross Wyoming and Nebraska

\Grand Teton National Park and travel east accross Wyoming and Nebraska

I'm thinking of taking a road trip from San Francisco to Omaha. The thought will be to spend some time in Grand

Teton national park and then drive east over Wyoming and Nebraska. What are people's thoughts about where to stay in Grand Teton national park. i imagine staying in a lidge where I can set my 8x10 up on a deck overlooking a lake or a mountain range.
    travelling east, I would like to photograph rural and small town west and midwest. What are your thoughts and experiences?

David

\Grand Teton National Park and travel east accross Wyoming and Nebraska

Perhaps Jenny Lake Lodge inside the park: https://www.nationalparkreservations...SAAEgI1lfD_BwE Historic and near a lot of good views.

Re: \Grand Teton National Park and travel east accross Wyoming and Nebraska

You didn't mention when you plan to go. Right now, most places are closed -- unless near the Jackson Hole ski resort. Most places don't open until Memorial Day -- even the campgrounds (but you didn't say whether they are an option, either).

In short, you didn't say much. Are you in an RV, car, what? How much time is involved.

Get the AAA Wyoming GuideBook.

Dear xkaes:

Thank you for asking. We're thinking of going in August or September. My general thought will be to spend about three or four days to drive from San Francisco to Grand Teton National Park and then to spend about five to seven days in the park. From then, we will want to drive east across Wyoming and Nebraska for maybe another four or five days or so. We'll be taking a car.

David

Drew Wiley

There are plenty of services in Jackson, right beside the Park. Things can get pretty crowded in Aug, not so bad in Sept; but there is plenty to see on the way, as well as around there. But if you venture into Yellowstone expect bad traffic. Just remember that even in summer you can get seriously cold weather and road closures, so always travel with warm sleeping bags and extra food and water. Sept also allows for some wonderful fall color in NE Utah and over high road passes in the Wasatch Range, but also marks the beginning of tourist facility closures in smaller towns. If you day hike in Grand Teton have good footwear and a waterproof parka in your daypack. It can snow pretty much anytime. And don't forget about the back side of the Tetons and the farmland there, which provides a different set of stunning views.

The fastest but least scenic route is straight across on Fwy 80, and then north once you cross into Wyoming. But at least that allows you to drive past the west side of the Wind River Range. It's a fairly quick detour from Pinedale uphill to a paved scenic overlook of some of the central range, including Fremont Peak. Then Jackson is about two hours north. Can certainly be done in three days, but not leisurely. There's just so much to see and tempt your camera in between, especially if you take routes other than Freeway 80 to get to Wyoming.

I agree with Drew -- go as late as you can to avoid the CRUSH. All of the National Parks -- and everything else "outdoors" -- has been overrun since the pandemic. However, the later you go the more likely you will face bad weather or closures -- but bad weather is great for photos. Don't even think about Yellowstone.

I agree with Drew that the west side of the Wind Rivers is beautiful and remote, but if you want to get to the Tetons fast, leave I-80 at Wells, NV and head north to Twin Falls, Idaho. You'll avoid the mess of Salt Lake City -- and you'll miss the original JC Penny store (still open) in Kemmerer, WY -- but you'll still get to see the east side of the Wind River range as you head to Nebraska.

I was in the Wind River Mountains last September, they are not easily accessed unless you are willing to spend an hour or so of jaw rattling over wash boarded roads. Green River Lakes, where the photo below was taken, is the easiest access. This range is better seen by backpacking. September starts to get cold at night in the high rockies. But, yes you could make a great road trip by going over South Pass (ghost town) and to Devil's Tower and hitting lots of small towns along the way.
    b&wsquaretop copy by Thad Gerheim, on Flickr
    Thad Gerheim

Drew Wiley

Oh, that Green River road isn't bad at all late summer, and is quite scenic, though it's about an hour's walk from the end of the road to that particular view of Squaretop Mtn. Just before the pandemic I spent two weeks doing a long loop hike in the high country behind that. Very few people, plenty of moose, too many biting flies. Splendid wildflowers. When we finally got back to the parking lot, there was a couple who had hauled a horse trailer all the way from Tennessee in order to spend a couple weeks on the Highline Trail, the main trail of the range.

The only paved road into the west side of the Wind River Range is that short drive I already mentioned, going from the main town or Pinedale up to the Elkhart Park trailhead at 9,000 ft. You get views of Fremont Lake and then of the highest peaks in Wyoming.

Xkaes mention Kenmmerer. Not far from there is Fossils Beds Natl Monument with an incredible little museum, if you want to see some of the best preserved fish and bird and numerous other fossils from the Western Hemisphere.

When you get to Nebrasks try to visit Ft. Robinson State Park. Bighorn Sheep to the horse stables where George Patton trained for the Olympic games. You can stay in Cavalry barracks with halls tall enough for a horse and rider. Even a restaurant with Bison on the menu.

Sand Hills are worth it. More hills and windmills than you will believe and little road traffic.

Coming in from Wyoming you will find a number of small towns in both States that are worth a visit.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Thad that image is stunning! I remember well my epic adventure in the Tetons...having hitchhiked there back in 1973 when I was 18. Too much to share right now. Never got into the Wind Rivers...but I do remember viewing them from some high overlooks as I climbed - I believe from above Lake Solitude, as I headed off trail and then things got interesting!