Thread: C-41 Processing: Searching for Opinions of Chemistry Brands

Nathan Lambrecht

C-41 Processing: Searching for Opinions of Chemistry Brands

I am about to start developing my 4x5 color negatives at home and I would like to see if anyone has an opinion on which chemistry brand to use, or advice on how to get the best results.

For background, I will be using a Filmomat Light rotary processor, sous vide to heat the chemistry and water and Jobo 2500 series tanks. I do not go through a significant amount of film at once, so mixing small amounts from a kit would be ideal. I have hard water, so I will be mixing my chemistry and stabilizer (if needed) with distilled water.

CineStill powder is stocked nearby, but powders do not allow for mixing smaller amounts easily. I also am not sure if about their concept of "no stabilizer needed" that is mentioned in their literature with modern films (I primarily use Kodak Ektar 100 and Portra 400). I have considered that they sell a separate stabilizer. I have also considered the liquid kit, which I think would be easier to cut the chemistry when I am only developing a few sheets.

I have also looked at the Arista liquid kit. Like the CineStill I thinks it can be split to make smaller batches. It also has a stabilizer as a final step. All liquids I would need to have shipped from one of the larger camera stores.

There are additional options, but these seem the most readily available from multiple vendors.

Please let me know your thoughts on these chemistry brands. If you get consistent results from one or the other. Chemistry shelf life, using chemistry for more film than listed in the literature, if stabilizer is really needed with modern films, etc. Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan

Re: C-41 Processing: Searching for Opinions of Chemistry Brands

I have used 3 of the Cinestill kits since going back to film. I haven't had any issues with it, it's worked just fine. I made sure to add the additional time to developing for each roll processed. I've never tried to mix smaller batches as the directions say to "add used developer back into unused". I have processed 20-22 rolls per batch, but that's because the chems were sitting on the shelf long enough that I would just mix another batch rather than risk it, so I can't speak to how many rolls you might get per batch. B&H has the kit $5 cheaper than Cinestill's site. B&H also has cheaper shipping. Powder form is cheaper to ship due to no "hazmat" requirements.

https://www.fujifilm.com/us/en/busin...chemicals/c-41

https://www.freestylephoto.com/66016...Processing-Kit

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...1_x_press.html

if you peruse the first link, you get the proper link to email Fuji and they will give a list of suppliers in each state/region that sell bulk fuji chemicals to private purchases. may not be the same price from each place, but it will be the freshest option, and they supposedly will let you buy as much as you want to.

when it comes to color sheet film, considering the costs of the film itself, I only use kodak or fuji brands as in the past I had not great results with other brands and worse luck with powdered color developers. when you can find them, they come in large sizes and shipping is not cheap, but the results are worth it. the fixer is nice because I use it for B&W as well, so its serves 2 purposes. just make sure you have a separate bottle for color and B&W. the bleach luckily has a very long shelf life and can be rejuvenated as well. but sometimes it costs more to ship then the cost of the chem itself, so check around. kodak flexiclor has been unavailable for quite a while, so I switched to fuji, which I use for e-6. LUCKILY, B&H will special order the FUJIFILM NEG N1-R Developer Replenisher (2 x 10 L) for you for a great price and ship for free! that alone saved me almost $50 in shipping charge. so if you guys need a replenisher, check it out. I just got mine 2 weeks ago so i have yet to mix some up. but the directions give you have to mix up 10 liters as well as 1 liter.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...plenisher.html

john

Bellini has a liquid C-41 3 bath kit, you can get it at Freestyle. This is the only kit I know outside of the difficult to obtain Fuji kits that have a separate Bleach step. I've always heard Blix is a no-no for C-41 so I don't plan to settle for a Blix kit..

I've used Blix for 10 years with no issues personally.

I buy the cheapest 5L or 1 gallon kit and divide it up to smaller batches.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Nathan, to compare C41 products you need the readings from control strips. Very few people bother, of course, especially because minor deviations from control limits are correctable during scanning. Every brand will give you results, and there will be folks reporting that it "works fine".

My experience is limited to these:

1. Cinestill C-41 liquid blix-based kit. The results were visibly off even by a naked eye, when compared side by side with Kodak Flexicolor. I did not have a densitometer at the time.
    2. Kodak Flexicolor. Perfect readings. But the last year before discontinuation was plagued by QC issues, the magenta/green density was consistently off.
    3. Bellini C-41 proper 3-bath kit. Perfect readings.
    4. Fuji Hunt C-41 Press Kit 5L. Perfect readings.

Personally, I am waiting for PSI-manufactured Kodak-branded chemicals to be launched later this year:
    https://kodak.photosys.com/collectio...color-negative
    Last edited by Bormental; 10-Feb-2024 at 14:51.

Nathan Lambrecht

Thanks you all for your help.

I am leaning towards the Fuji Hunt C-41 kit. My only real concern is chemistry shelf life. The Fuji literature states that mixed developer is only good for 4-6 weeks depending on bottle type. Unmixed partially opened bottles I heard can last longer, then just mix them when needed. However, there is no official material that I can find. The Rollei 5L literature says that unmixed chemistry can last 3 months in the original bottles. B&H refers to the "Rollei Fuji Hunt C-41 Kit," so I am not sure if they are the same developer (Rollei stand alone kit uses Blix, Fuji uses bleach then fixer). My understanding is oxidation is a problem with the developer.

Is there anything any of you have done or what is your experience with shelf life of mixed or unmixed chemicals? I have read everything from storing unused chemicals in smaller bottles, using the accordion bottles, to adding inert gas to the bottle. Based on the amount of sheets I go through a year I believe I will go through a 5L kit in about 6-9 months using it as a single shot developer.

Any experience on chemistry life would be appreciated.

-Nathan

I have been using the larger sized c41 and e-6 chemistry for quite a while and get great shelf life, both mixed solutions and un-mixed concentrates. but a lot of it depends on how your store your chems.

for mixed chems I use 3 liter wine bags/bladders. they are great, easy to use and refill, which is nice for replenishment and cheap. you can get them on amazon. I fill them up, squeeze out as much of the air as possible and then when done store them in a dark place. I have had no drop in processing quality with mixed solutions lasting over 1 year in the bag. PLEASE be aware that the bleach will over time leak out of the bags, so if you do use them, replace the wine bag for the bleach after 1 year if you decide to use the bags for the bleach. some people dont and just keep the bleach in the original bottle it came in.

for the bulk chems, I top off the unused chems that are in the original bottles, with propane, which is heavier than air, so it gives a nice barrier from oxygen. I have had fuji e-6 chems last over 3 years with no drop in processing quality. you can get the small propane bottles at most hardware stores.

hope this helps

john

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Purse-Ea...707839667&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by nlambrecht View Post
    I am leaning towards the Fuji Hunt C-41 kit. My only real concern is chemistry shelf life
    First have in mind I am in Europe, so I easily get Fuji (factory in Belgium), and the other one named here, Compard, it may not be your case.

I use the dev-bleach-fixer-stab kits, the Fuji and while it was still available, the Compard Digibase brand (manufacturer uncertain, former Tetenal or maybe Calbe, both Germany).
    There is some difference, specially with the dev, Fuji is better. But after few sheets (or roll) it's no longer noticeable.

Bleach keeps very long, I pour the content in a jar and stir well to oxygenate it, before use. It keeps well more than what instructions tell.
    Fixer keep also quite long, but less than bleach.

Dev in these kits comes in 4 components to mix: parts A,B,C + starter (D). If you buy a 5L kit and don't mix all at once, one of the dev parts (C if I remember well, it contains CD4) oxydes and degrades relatively fast. When I know I will not shoot a lot of C41 in the few coming months, I buy instead the small A,,B,C, starter in 100ml each, so for 1L dev. Unopened they keep long.

in my fridge, bottles of compard dev, fuji bleach, fuji fixer, and they are good. The bleach is reaching end of life but then it was mixed in september ...2020. Dev and fixer march-april 2023.

I have 4 small kits of the A,,B,C, starter parts to mix 1 liter dev, The reason for buying separate dev sub-kits is also that developer dies first, in a whole kit so you are left with bleach and fixer still good but empty for dev.

Fuji sells only full kits, Compard (ie. Maco ie. Hans O. Mahn Gmbh) is/was very convenient because these 100ml dev components. In case they are no longer manufactured, I am thinking to switch to homemade chemicals.