Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rodenstock Grandagon 115 vs Schneider Super Symmar 110 XL

Re: Rodenstock Grandagon 115 vs Schneider Super Symmar 110 XL

r.e.: Apologies for sounding "snippy," but supplying information in the manner of "you might as well be aware of the fact that...." in other words...stating something as fact while it is not a (verified) fact is, in my book, not helpful and yes (along with a tone which I find a bit condescending)...this does piss me off a little.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    You should also set Dan Fromm straight. He thinks that the rear thread is 82mm and the front thread is 112mm. That's why centre filters are described with two numbers, in this case 82/112.

A link to Dan's article and charts is directly above your post. His article is seen, at least around here, as the most authoritative statement on the internet of centre filter specs across major lens manufacturers.
    Yep - on most if not all centre filters for LF use* the filter has a rear male thread corresponding to the filter thread of the lens (obviously) and then a front thread on the CF itself is much bigger, to accommodate the thickness of the filter glass without causing any mechanical vignetting, given these are designed for very wide lenses. That's where the 82mm / 112mm confusion is coming from. The CFs that fit on lenses with 82mm threads have a front thread on the filter itself of 112mm.

Similarly, the CF that I've used on 90mm 6x17, the same one you'd use on a 110mm SSXL, has a 67mm threads on the rear and 86mm threads on the front.

*An example of a CF with the same front and read thread sizes would be the 49mm one for the Hasselblad Xpan. Presumably because 49mm is already an oversized thread for the front element size in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    r.e.: Apologies for sounding "snippy," but supplying information in the manner of "you might as well be aware of the fact that...." in other words...stating something as fact while it is not a (verified) fact is, in my book, not helpful and yes (along with a tone which I find a bit condescending)...this does piss me off a little.
    I stated a fact. If you want to pretend otherwise, go ahead. I'm required to prove what the centre filter characteristics are for your own lens?

You also misconstrued my post, which was a single sentence long and as neutral as I could make it. I expressed myself as I did for the simple reason that I wanted to be equivocal about the significance of the distinction that I was drawing. I think that the Schneider, having regard to weight, bulk, aperture range and filter accessory cost, is on the face of it the more attractive lens. I have personal experience outfitting a camera that takes 112mm filters, including for square filters, and financially it is no joke. However, I wanted to take into account Tom's earlier statement that he may be able to purchase a Grandagon at a price that would make the lens itself significantly less expensive than the Schneider. I just wanted to bring this to his attention so he can look into it and come to whatever conclusion works for him financially. That was also why I said later (post 29) that the filter ramifications may not be "decisive".

It's amazing that somebody can make a simple one sentence, factually correct post and wind up on the receiving end of misinformed posts by two people in succession, in your case snotty to boot. And now you're trying to justify it
    Last edited by r.e.; 6-Feb-2024 at 08:24.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Yep - on most if not all centre filters for LF use* the filter has a rear male thread corresponding to the filter thread of the lens (obviously) and then a front thread on the CF itself is much bigger, to accommodate the thickness of the filter glass without causing any mechanical vignetting, given these are designed for very wide lenses. That's where the 82mm / 112mm confusion is coming from. The CFs that fit on lenses with 82mm threads have a front thread on the filter itself of 112mm.

Similarly, the CF that I've used on 90mm 6x17, the same one you'd use on a 110mm SSXL, has a 67mm threads on the rear and 86mm threads on the front.

*An example of a CF with the same front and read thread sizes would be the 49mm one for the Hasselblad Xpan. Presumably because 49mm is already an oversized thread for the front element size in this case.
    Thank You!

r.e. If you were referring to the front thread diameters of the center filters themselves...then my bad - and sincere apologies!