Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pin hole checking

pin hole checking

Had the time to test my cameras bellows out with a flashlight in a dark room. Its depressing for a camera that the seller listed as "no light leaks".

Its only every corner has a tiny pin hole in it.. really should post a photo. Is it better to just find a new bellows and laugh at how much i did not have to spend on a brand new camera?

Re: pin hole checking

I have one Toyo Field camera and several Toyo monorail cameras - all bought used and all had numerous pinholes. I tried to "paint" over the pinholes with black acrylic paint mixed with some PVA glue to make it more flexible, but to no avail. Most of the pinholes re-appeared.
    My solution was to buy "cheap" bellows from Amazon - around 100 US$ each. Replacing the bellows on the monorails was easy. Replacing the tapered bellows on the 45A Field camera was a bit more tricky, but not impossible with some patience. And the new bellows are perfectly light tight and have proven to be quite wear resistant. Light leaks are a pain, so I found replacing the bellows both practical and useful.

If you do replace your bellows, there are two brands of contact cement that I'd like to suggest: either Weldwood or Durabond.

Laugh and the world laughs with you

Look into retapeing all corners with good tape

It can look nice and last for decades
    Tin Can

If the seller advertised it as having no light leaks, you should return it for a refund and buy something better. (IE: spend a bit more $$)

multiplex

What TC said plus white pva and black India ink is magical. I’m sure seller like KEH only meant cosmetics.. your camera is probably 50+ years old. Probably requires grease too.

Not sure on needing grease.. this thing is smoother then the macro bellows i bought. Its only pin holes in EVERY corner on it, and the email alert is telling me my lens was just delivered.

I sent out emails to about 5 places last night about a custom bellows, and only 1 place responded so far..

multiplex

Custom bellows as much $$ as a new camera . Do as Paul suggests not worth hassle especially when you will never be able to resell the camera with the new bellows for as much as the camera and bellows cost.
    Last edited by jnantz; 31-Jan-2024 at 14:12.

The best replacement bellows I have found are the U.S.-made all synthetic and waterproof products from Dynatect or Nabel (you will pay more for the same thing).

Imho, if you really like the way that the camera works, do a temporary fix on the bellows while you are looking into the replacement, and use it. Replacing bellows is a maintenance issue unless you plan on replacing the camera soon. If you replace the bellows, the value of your camera will increase.