Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MWLFA Large Format Gathering - April 26-27, 2024, Chesterton Indiana

MWLFA Large Format Gathering - April 26-27, 2024, Chesterton Indiana

Midwest Large Format Asylum (MLFA) print review is an informal gathering of large format photographers to present their prints in a relaxed setting. It provides a platform for non-competitive exhibition exclusively meant for appreciation and constructive feedback.

Bringing a print is not necessary. You are welcome to join us just to see others' prints. If bringing your own prints to show, you may bring any number of prints for display. The photographs must have been taken by you using a large format camera. Prints can be digital or alternate process. While it is preferred to have mounted prints (not in frames) it is not necessary. Mounting prints make it easier to handle and has an aesthetic appeal.

Registration starts at 8 am and the print viewing starts at about 9 am on Saturday, April 27 and runs till about 5:30 pm. There are pre-events on Friday night for those who arrive early. There is no cost for registration.

Friday, April 26: Pre-event Activity
    Dinner together at 5:30 pm at Around the Clock Restaurant (1607 S. Calumet Road, Chesterton, IN).

Presentations are back at the Meeting Room of the Best Western Indian Oak Hotel starting at 7:30 pm

7:30 pm “Dry Plate Orotones” modern work by D. Anson Brody, and his work to make a surrogate for one of Polly Smith’s orotone images from the 1936 Texas Centennial Celebration.
    8:30 pm “Success with X-ray film in Large Format Photography. Diwan Bhathal will talk about his progress with using LF X-ray film as a cost effective alternative to conventional photography films.

Saturday, April 27: Inspiration Saturday
    Registration starts at 8 am in the Meeting Room at the Best Western Indian Oak Hotel. Those who have prints to show will have 15 minutes to talk about their work and answer questions. The order of presentation will be random. The presentations start about 9 am.

Attendees who want to order a lunch that will be brought can order from a menu of sandwiches and salads.

We will also have an area set up for you to sell or donate any photography related equipment/material.

Presentations run to about 5:30 p.m.

For those who have not been the MWLFA event before, this is our 17th year for this gathering. You can get a good flavor of on Craig Sheaks video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGL06EnuNw

You could visit for the day of the event or take this opportunity to make your visit into a weekend trip. The motel where we are gathering is the Indian Oaks Best Western hotel in Chesterton, Indiana. It is best to book early. You can made reservations now at https://www.bestwestern.com/.../propertyCode.15095.html

This is a free event. However, donations of a few dollars are welcome to cover the conference room expenses. Otherwise, your meals and lodging are your only expenses.

If you are interest in attending or have any questions, please reply to this posting. Or for you who have Facebook accounts, please check out our site, Midwest Large Format Asylum.

Friends of MLFA Print Review Committee
    Rick Tapio, Debejyo Chakraborty, Frank Patel, Steve Bennett, Craig Sheaks, Francis Fullam
    Last edited by FrancisF; 5-Feb-2024 at 16:53.

Re: MWLFA Large Format Gathering - April 26-27, 2024, Chesterton Indiana

I'm planning to attend this year. Hopefully with some prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    I'm planning to attend this year. Hopefully with some prints.
    Great - it will be good to see you.

All are welcome with or without prints to show.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]246122[/ATTACH.

I have had a number of questions coming in and always happy to answer any DMs

We will post more details about the event as the date gets closer.....and I will post them here for those who do not use or hate Facebook.

A great place to see works by Large Format photographers and show your own. No fees for registration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ben2.jpg  

Impossible to recommend this event highly enough! One of the best things you can do this year… Look forward to seeing everyone there!

Quote Originally Posted by popdoc View Post
    Impossible to recommend this event highly enough! One of the best things you can do this year… Look forward to seeing everyone there!
    See you there ! I am always amazed and inspired by the LF works that people come to show. And two great presentations are scheduled - Polly Smith and the 1936 Texas Centennial Orotones and modern practices; and use of x-ray film in LF photography.

No fee for registration.

I'm so excited. Looking forward to it. It has been my inspiration for years! Looking forward to meeting new people.

Quote Originally Posted by debejyo View Post
    I'm so excited. Looking forward to it. It has been my inspiration for years! Looking forward to meeting new people.
    Debejyo - It will be great to see you again and see what you have been up to lately. You get to travel to some cool places.

One of the things I like best about the event is how friendly and welcoming the group is to new attendees.

This year we are expanding our offerings of pre-event presentations on Friday night. I have heard some things about the pioneering work of Polly Smith, photographing across Texas in the '30's. D Anson Brody talk about her and his work on recreating one of her Orotone works and his own work in this style of large format photography.

Large Format Photography Forum members can check out the Facebook page of the Midwest Large Format Photography. There is no fee for this event in Chesterton, Indiana on April 26-27.

Facebook avoiders / haters and sent me note for details or to let us know you are coming.

@popdoc let us know who you are in the facebook group. Thanks for the recommendation!

An event not to be missed. This year will be my 12th or 13th attendance, and I always come away having seen some excellent photographs, and having enjoyed the friendly company of fellow LF photographers.
    Steve Bennett