Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buyer beware of 3D printed lens boards

Buyer beware of 3D printed lens boards

I recently picked up a new lens board. I knew it was plastic, but I didn't know it was 3D printed plastic. Still, it seemed firm and fit very well. Yesterday, with a lens attached, it slipped out of my hand. It only fell an inch -- maybe two -- but it happened to make impact on one of the four corners of the lens board. An inch of the corner snapped right off. I think formed plastic would have been more flexible. The 3D board is very brittle -- too brittle.

FYI

Re: Buyer beware of 3D printed lens boards

sounds like more of a "buying stuff from sketchy people who cut too many corners" problem than a 3d printing problem.

I have about fifteen various lens boards that were 3D printed at home, made from PLA, and none of them has ever suffered damage from being dropped, or everyday usage. In fact, I am anything but gentle with them. I suspect this is an individual supplier/maker issue.

I have a Norwegian made 45 camera entirely PRINTED

I have dropped it with no damage

It is far better than the all Aluminum camera it emulates

Sold on eBay
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I recently picked up a new lens board. I knew it was plastic, but I didn't know it was 3D printed plastic. Still, it seemed firm and fit very well. Yesterday, with a lens attached, it slipped out of my hand. It only fell an inch -- maybe two -- but it happened to make impact on one of the four corners of the lens board. An inch of the corner snapped right off. I think formed plastic would have been more flexible. The 3D board is very brittle -- too brittle.

FYI
    There is a massive amount of different material beign sold for 3d printing, some is good, some is not so good. Some of it is usable to make something decent like a joy stick. Other brands and types, and even generations of material are just good enough to not collapse under their own weight.

Drew Wiley

Reusable rocket boosters are being 3d printed now. They cost slightly more than generic lensboards, however. I'm always skeptical of generic anything.

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    Other brands and types, and even generations of material are just good enough to not collapse under their own weight.
    Once bought a 3D printed Sinar board off eBay. Before cutting a hole in it, I went to test its strength by bending it with two fingers on each side. Easily broke in half. Last 3D printed board I ever bought.

It's the same thing with 3D printed film cassettes -- more so with light leaks than structural failure.

Buyer beware.

You know, it IS possible to print an extremely tough, durable lens board. I daresay most of mine could withstand having a tank drive over them without breaking. So the trick is to find someone you can trust to do it right. Sounds to me like there are some dicks on fleabay printing the cheapest possible way, skimping on materials in order to make $$. Or may be they're inept.

I'm sure you are correct, but there is no way for a buyer to separate the wheat from the chaff.