Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Aviphot vs. "Svema" vs. green x-ray vs. mammography ?

Re: Aviphot vs. "Svema" vs. green x-ray vs. mammography ?

Ashton Pond Norma Handy HRU Mic-X 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Ashton Pond Sinar Norma Handy 4x5 Fuji HR-U XRay 65mm F8 at F22 Schneider CF + Sinar Norma Dark Yellow 103mm Glass Disk 1 sec at F22 Legacy Mic-X replenished stock in tray 18 mins at 62F Arista #2 RC 8x10 Multigrade dev
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Auto Maki no 2 150 2.8 Xenotar HRU 5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Automatic Makiflex #2 150mm F2.8 Xenotar wide-open 1/15 Fuji 8x10 XRay HRU cut down to 4x5 in Graphmatic back StarD tripod. Development 12 minutes 60F straight Mic-X replenished by inspection of shadow values by deep red safelight. 8x10 Arista #2 RC Omega DII 180 Rodagon f22 50 seconds Omegalite diffusion head Multigrade developer

― Mark Twain

HRU Makiflex Std Mic-X 240 f4.5 Tele-Arton by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel Makiflex Standard camera 240mm F5.5 chrome barrel mount Schneider Tele-Arton at F22. One pop of Broncolor Pulso C171 monolight strobe with Broncolor Pulso Beauty Dish. No fill. 8x10 Fuji HR-U XRay film cut into 4x5s straight Microdol-X replenished in a tray development by inspection under custom red light. 4x5 Lisco Regal holder. 8x10 RC Aristo #2 Multigrade dev Omega DII with diffusion Omegalite head.

― Mark Twain

Kodak 1A Grey Bullet Safelight 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

3 Watt Lowes Red LED, inside a Kodak Grey Bullet Safelight. Kodak IA deep red filter in front of the LED. As recommended by Jason Lane (the dry plate Guy). Thanks Jason! This one is 7-8 feet from my developing tray in my darkroom sink. No light fog whatsoever even with thirty minute developing.

THE JASON LANE DOUBLE-SAFE SAFELIGHT!

― Mark Twain

4x5 Fuji HRU Mic-X 5 minutes by Nokton48, on Flickr

Fuji 8x10 HR-U X-Ray cut down to 4x5, Graphmatic Holder, 4x5 Sinar Norma 180mm f5.6 chrome Durst Componon lens, full key sun. This was exposure #6, two stops over ambient reading of grey card EI 50 TTL Sinarsix 1/15 @ Fll. Short development is stock Legacy Mic-X 5 minutes 68F. Cesco flat bottomed 8x10 tray, sheets developed singly. I did a sort of ring-around, varying exposure and development times. This is the lowest contrast version which I like. 8x10 Arista RC #2 Multigrade dev Omega DII with Omegalite circuline head Cool thing is this works out to about 7 cents per 4x5 sheet.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    The HRU green xray film is designed for use with a specific phosphor that is used, which has specific very narrow bands of green lines that it must have best sensitivity to, which a general purpose ortho film does not. I woulld think think the green xray film spectral sensitivity is different, but now much so would be only a guess. I would guess the green xray has better green sensitivity than other ortho films. Looking at a brite light through unprocessed HRU it appears to be very magenta in color, which is likely the ortho sensitizer.
    green sensitizing dyes aren't that specific and there's a limit to how much sensitivity you can shift to green, so there's not a huge difference. hru green is sensitive to everything from uv to orange. you might notice brighter foliage or nicer skin tones compared to some other ortho film, but nothing major.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    No, I asked about the pinpointing device for the Sekonic.
    not homemade, Sekonic L-428 with "pin point" attachment. The L-428 (and L-448) were the last mechanical needle and analogical meters of Sekonic. The L-428 has attachments for incident, reflected, 10° measuring and this optic fiber "probe" ie. you meter a spot on the focusing screen. Attachments come with own computing wheel.
    The pin point is a stack of thin optic fibers. The plastic of the sheath deteriorates over time and falls aparts. I removed all, used rubber ribbon (light proof and non sticking) to make a new sheath and covered with pvc electrical ribbon (I had a roll of green).

Gossen and Quantum did also so-called system meters,, ie. a measuring unit with diversity of attachments among which an optic fiber "pin point" for focusing screens. Here my Sekonic L-428 my Gossen Profisix and my Quantum Calcu-Light XP, each with its probe cable on.
    Gossen and Sekonic are mechanical needle (but different way to work) with computing wheel. The Gossen doesn´t need to swap the wheel when swapping attachment, just adjust a coefficient on a scale of the wheel. The Quantum is non mechanical, red LED display of a value to set the computing wheel.

there were also long flat arms with a measuring blue silicon sensor at the tip, to be inserted through a slit into back adapters, in order to meter the light in front of the focusing screen. Sinar made this with Minolta, the measuring arm has a wire with a connector to Minolta III/IV/V meters.
    The optic fiber probe on the focusing screen were probably set with a calibration inside the meter, taking in consideration an average/typical loss of light through a regular focusing screen with no fresnel, I guess. So depending how clear and clean the focusing screen is there may some variation.

Anyway the utility of these pin probes depends the scene/subject you photograph. I often prefer the spotmetering with my Vivitar LX1+LX260 because the optic bloc is big and clear, and when luminance varies a lot across the scene, depending what result you have in mind, you can meter a much smaller spot than on the focusing screen, specially when the format is smaller like 13x18.
    For instance here in red, by the arrow, the dimension of a 1° spot seen from the spotmeter. I can finely meter there on the whitish part of the wall, or on a bright spot of the snow, or on a darker spot of the snow, the pin probe on the focusing screen of a 13x18 size will not allow such level of separation.

something else is that I use in 13x18 and 8x10 non-shuttered lenses, most excepted the soviet Tessar at f4.5, are repro lenses german (Rodenstock, Staeble under Helioprint/Agfa, Eskofot brands) and soviet (Industar, LOMO RF) ie. slower, full åpen at f9, and instead of shutter I use variable ND filters for longer exposure. So my lenses with the full åpen ND are no better than f11. When there is low light the pin probe on focusing screen may reach its limit but I can spot meter directly the scene instead and do the math.

Sinar Norma Handy w TTL Sinarsix metering by Nokton48, on Flickr

I also use TTL for 4x5 Photography. Most deadly accurate for sure. Worth the trouble. Exposure with HRU must be "on the nose" in terms of accuracy.

― Mark Twain

400s 70mm Supergrain Blad 100 Planar 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Test roll (31 exposures) fresh 70mm Rollei 400s, processed in Rollei Supergrain. JOBO 120/220 reel modified to 70mm width by me, JOBO Multitank 2 Agitated by hand. Film shot last spring, then life came along................... Hasselblad A70 mag, 100mm Zeiss T* Darkroom print Omega DII Omegalite head Aristo #2 RC Ultra Multigrain Dev

― Mark Twain