Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Eyes NEED Double Space

Re: Old Eyes NEED Double Space

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm just starting to have visual impairment so now looking at aids, like a big magnifier glass. On computer there are aids for visually imaired that seem quite effective. On browsers there is zoom, but that might require a decent sized display for best use. Windows offers accomodation tools.... which I have not explored but certainly intend to facilitate usage by visualy impaired users. Might be worth exploring...
    In the Brave browser for Windows "Ctrl +" / "Ctrl -" will enlarge / reduce the size of text is displayed within the browser window. It's easy to use on the fly when something needs a bit of help. I'd expect other browsers to have similarly convenient ways of doing that.

I will try a large touch screen

Sooon!

Thanks all
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    There is a style selector in the vBulletin code, you can see it at the bottom of the forum pages. Unfortunately it seems the set available are just different colors. I wonder if there's a more accessible style option that could be brought in. That way people who want double space could have it. That would be the right way to handle the issue and it looks like it might be simple.
    I spent a while just now mucking around in the Style Manager. It is possible to create new Styles with custom parameters. In theory it should be possible to include a customized line height parameter, but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it in our version of vBulletin. There is no existing post text line height parameter that can be adjusted. Normally there's also a place where one should be able to add an extra line to the applicable CSS, but the screen that seems to be that place is labeled as "obsolete - for reference only" and there's no apparent way to save any CSS edits that are made there.

Afraid that's all the time I have to spend on it right now.

Many years ago web browsers had a preference feature that would allow you to set a minimum font size.

You could enlarge the txt without affecting the other content on the page.

I miss that feature--wish they would bring it back.

Thank you Oren

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I spent a while just now mucking around in the Style Manager. It is possible to create new Styles with custom parameters. In theory it should be possible to include a customized line height parameter, but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it in our version of vBulletin. There is no existing post text line height parameter that can be adjusted. Normally there's also a place where one should be able to add an extra line to the applicable CSS, but the screen that seems to be that place is labeled as "obsolete - for reference only" and there's no apparent way to save any CSS edits that are made there.

Afraid that's all the time I have to spend on it right now.
    Tin Can

Hold Ctrl and use your mouse's scroll wheel to ramp up/down the size of the font. This works in Chrome and I think most other browsers.

For me this leaves the forum borders the same so you don't have to scroll left/right to see the whole post, at least up to 250% at which point it does mess with that.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Hold Ctrl and use your mouse's scroll wheel to ramp up/down the size of the font. This works in Chrome and I think most other browsers.

For me this leaves the forum borders the same so you don't have to scroll left/right to see the whole post, at least up to 250% at which point it does mess with that.
    Thanks. Checking it just now, Ctrl plus mouse wheel works in Brave too, along with Ctrl + / Ctrl -.

I was very nearsighted from birth. Corrective eyeglasses were an absolute necessity in school. Several years ago laser surgery for glaucoma also corrected for nearsightedness, and for more money, could have taken care of my astigmatism. I still wear bifocal glasses to correct for the astigmatism and occasional close-up work. Another pair of prescription glasses for reading only was a bargain for the hours a day spent on a computer and sometimes reading books. Non-prescription reading glasses from Walmart (Maybe $5, and much less in some bargain stores) seem to me a better way to improve reading than persuading a computer to do it. It may be more difficult for someone who has never had to wear glasses, but it is easy and inexpensive to try.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

One additional thought about upsizing to larger monitors...

Often the installation of a larger monitor significantly changes the workstation layout so attention to workstation ergonomics is important to avoid undesioreable side effects like unnatural head posture not before used causing physical neck stress/strain.

And same consideration if changing to bifocals or progressive lenses in spectacles. Jim's reading glasses option is a golden suggestion, so long as they don't get lost.

Been there done that

As child I was moved to the back as I was complaining about the invisible writing on chalkboard

I needed glasses, but did not get them until age 7, but damaged my eyes with invisible tree branches

When I got shitty glasses I could not get down any stairs as the distortion was nuts

No sunglasses for kids, we we told to stay outside all day until dinner Ice and snow in MN, snow blind

There nis worse. I will freak you all

SOON

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I was very nearsighted from birth. Corrective eyeglasses were an absolute necessity in school. Several years ago laser surgery for glaucoma also corrected for nearsightedness, and for more money, could have taken care of my astigmatism. I still wear bifocal glasses to correct for the astigmatism and occasional close-up work. Another pair of prescription glasses for reading only was a bargain for the hours a day spent on a computer and sometimes reading books. Non-prescription reading glasses from Walmart (Maybe $5, and much less in some bargain stores) seem to me a better way to improve reading than persuading a computer to do it. It may be more difficult for someone who has never had to wear glasses, but it is easy and inexpensive to try.
    Tin Can