Thread: Wista 4x5 camera question

Wista 4x5 camera question

Have found a rather odd duck, in the WISTA 4x5 family. Its a technical/field camera, metal. However there are 3 oddities on it that I cannot find on any Wista camera.

1. It has no front door that swings down. cannot see any spot for a folding front door to attach for hinges or a latch to lock it in place. No tripod socket visible anywhere in pictures

2. the front standard is held to the rear body by means of what looks like a rectangular strip of metal on each side, somewhat like a miniature drawer slide pull.

3. the bellows is the oddest thing of all, its completely rectangular along its entire length.

ANY idea of what this might be model wise?

All the Wistas i can find for sale have the standard folding front/bed and a bottom mounted slide system.

Re: Wista 4x5 camera question

It sounds to me like it is home made. If there is a Wista name on it, probably just used some parts. Wista lens boards will have the name/insignia on them.

https://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_sh...a/e_camera.htm

Can you supply a photo? It doesn't sound like any stock Wista that I've heard about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wista cae.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	245799

I think he stumbled on a Wista "TLR" Id camera. That one has a square bellows all the way and 2 metal strips at the side to guide the front. But it is not a technical camera by any means and it isn't a TLR either. It is a specialty camera for making two ID's on 4x5 film. No movements and the range of extention is enough to use the special lenses for making a portrait. But is has a tripod socket.

If the photo above is a photo of it, then yes, it is a Wista "TLR" ID camera. https://foticoscollection.com/es/ite...ista-4x5/20646

And no, you cannot use it for stereo photo either because of the limited bellows extention. It really is a special one-trick pony. (Got a similar silly Fuji FP-UL)
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I think he stumbled on a Wista "TLR" Id camera. That one has a square bellows all the way and 2 metal strips at the side to guide the front. But it is not a technical camera by any means and it isn't a TLR either. It is a specialty camera for making two ID's on 4x5 film. No movements and the range of extention is enough to use the special lenses for making a portrait. But is has a tripod socket.

If the photo above is a photo of it, then yes, it is a Wista "TLR" ID camera. https://foticoscollection.com/es/ite...ista-4x5/20646

And no, you cannot use it for stereo photo either because of the limited bellows extention. It really is a special one-trick pony. (Got a similar silly Fuji FP-UL)
    Thats what i ran across... is there ANY chance of it being usable as a normal 4x5 camera if i mounted a lens and lens board on it?

No, forget it. The distance the bellows can change it too small. This is really made for the few lenses made for it and making portraits at a couple of meters distance. If you want to collect cameras go for it. But if you want a camera to use for 4x5 you trow away money.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I've sold a number of these cameras and the associated 130mm lens units over the years. It does have limitations, but my customers have been using it for:

1. Diptychs. Cover one lens and take a portrait. Cover the other lens and take another on the same piece of film with a change of pose, lighting, whatever.

2. Box camera. The lens panel is the standard Wista / Linhof technika style, and accepts recessed and top hat boards making for a simple box type camera.

3. Copy camera. Since the lens and film planes are always parallel to each other, it makes for an excellent copy camera, when used with an appropriate top hat board.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I've sold a number of these cameras and the associated 130mm lens units over the years. It does have limitations, but my customers have been using it for:

1. Diptychs. Cover one lens and take a portrait. Cover the other lens and take another on the same piece of film with a change of pose, lighting, whatever.

2. Box camera. The lens panel is the standard Wista / Linhof technika style, and accepts recessed and top hat boards making for a simple box type camera.

3. Copy camera. Since the lens and film planes are always parallel to each other, it makes for an excellent copy camera, when used with an appropriate top hat board.

Kumar
    box cameras arent bad, especially if it has a real lens.

In your experience, does the mounting system on the rear body standard/ground glass holder interchange with other brands of camera? Like say a graflex roll film holder? It comes with a large amount of accessories that use the rear mount sytem on it, and im curious

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    box cameras arent bad, especially if it has a real lens.

In your experience, does the mounting system on the rear body standard/ground glass holder interchange with other brands of camera? Like say a graflex roll film holder? It comes with a large amount of accessories that use the rear mount sytem on it, and im curious
    Most metal Wista 45 cameras have graflok backs, but this does not.