Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tripods and quality

Re: tripods and quality

MonochromeFan -- The top of my Tiltall is only 58 inches above the ground with the legs fully extended, but the very rigid center column provides 12 more inches. The four Tiltalls that I've owned have been the best of the many more brands that I used over the past 70+ years.

Fuji GX680 50mm f5.6 Seiko Shutter by Nokton48, on Flickr

If $100 is out of your price range, consider the lowly Star-D, which is a Tiltall Copy. Lighter in weight than the Leitz, with lesser build quality. Useful? You bet! It'll hold a 4x5 Speedy, I attach a vintage "Hippy" Guitar strap, and it carries very well that way. Usually about $30 and worth every penny. Again, check everything, some of these are worn out. Just make sure you get a good one. Like it so much (I'm sentimental!) that I bought a second one, to use with my Plaubel 6.5x9cm Peco Juniors. I tried to attach a heavy aluminum plate on the StarD, but the metal is flexy and not suitable for modification. So I set it back the way it was, very lightweight.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 24-Jan-2024 at 12:45.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

How tall you are is largely irrelevant to what is the best height for a camera to be positioned for a photo.

Budget end, but very high quality is the tiltall. I used on for many years with my 4x5 speed till sand and salt did in the twist leg locks fine threads.
    more recently I bought a Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod because of lever locks on the legs. I use a 3025 head with it. Some people would pay more for a CF version and that's OK too.
    I also have a Ries Jr tripod with 3025 head for 4x5 and DSLR work.
    And a Ries A series with a Ries head for 8x10 and larger.

A good cheap option is a Bogen 3021 with a 3047 head. Should be easy to find used.

I agree with Daniel Unkefer's comments about the Star D branded Tiltall. The plastic on one handle on mine broke, but a wooden substitute can be improvised and epoxied to the aluminum shaft.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    A good cheap option is a Bogen 3021 with a 3047 head. Should be easy to find used.
    inexpensive, not cheap (as in poor quality).

Nicholas O. Lindan

I had a Star-D Tiltall that served for some years. Then the aluminum castings making up the tilt-head cracked in several places and it was retired.

I have several Gitzos, a Benbo and a Reis (from the days when they were beautifully made). However, I keep reaching for my Slik tripods.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

I've been using a Manfrotto 3011 with a newer INNOREL F60 fluid video head. It supports a very large video outfit, up to a full-plate Okuhara. I've been tempted a number of times to buy another just to have it nearby.

Are you hiking with it? If not, get an old Gitzo metal type will last forever and very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Are you hiking with it? If not, get an old Gitzo metal type will last forever and very solid.
    That depends on the camera i end up with.

The basic idea is that the head will be able to support a big ass weight on it, and will stay locked until i unlock it.

The tripod i have NOW... the knobs, etc stay locked, but once i let go of the handle the lens can drop up to 5 inches. I mean if i lock it with the lens center axis at a 45* UP angle... once i let go of the handle, the lenses center of axis assumes a -45* angle .