Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: tripods and quality

Re: tripods and quality

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Are you hiking with it? If not, get an old Gitzo metal type will last forever and very solid.
    I have a Gitzo tripod made of metal and it have currently lasted 30 years. Rock solid and very well build.

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    That depends on the camera i end up with.

The basic idea is that the head will be able to support a big ass weight on it, and will stay locked until i unlock it.

The tripod i have NOW... the knobs, etc stay locked, but once i let go of the handle the lens can drop up to 5 inches. I mean if i lock it with the lens center axis at a 45* UP angle... once i let go of the handle, the lenses center of axis assumes a -45* angle .
    Is your problem the tripod legs not staying locked or your head not supporting the weight? There are a variety of heavy duty 3 way heads that will support heavy cameras.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

multiplex

a black tiltall (I think a 4062) can be purchased for about 100-125$, it can be used for everything from a 35mm to a lightweight 8x10 and everything in between. a leg can be removed and column plug screwed in to be used as a monopod, which can be helpful doing street work with a 4x5. knobs stay locked.

The basic idea is that the head will be able to support a big ass weight on it, and will stay locked until i unlock it.

The tripod i have NOW... the knobs, etc stay locked, but once i let go of the handle the lens can drop up to 5 inches. I mean if i lock it with the lens center axis at a 45* UP angle... once i let go of the handle, the lenses center of axis assumes a -45* angle .
    My metal Gitzo has a heavy-duty three-way head on it. No center yet will extend to 6 feet which is higher than I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200112_174741 reduced 1920.jpg   tripod 1.jpg  

Perhaps some do not balance the load
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

What are you curently using? Is it older? If so, it might just need a bit of maintenance. The Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 head I've been using sine the 1980's started doing that unless gorrilla-like strength was used to tighten the handles. It was relatively easy to disassemble, clean and re-lube with damping grease to restore to original functionality. Most difficult part was sourcing the damping grease at an affordable price and small quantity. Total repair time was about 64 minutes.

I greatly prefer my Leofoto CF tripod to any of my 4 aluminum Gitzo models. In particular, the locking collars on the legs are much easier to use. The quick release plate, which can be easily removed without any xtra tools, is also nice. Finally, the various feet options are very useful. And it's much lower weight (despite the tripod going significantly higher than my Gitzos) is very welcome outside of the studio. In the studio, none of that matters much.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Is your problem the tripod legs not staying locked or your head not supporting the weight? There are a variety of heavy duty 3 way heads that will support heavy cameras.
    the problem is the pan head on it.. for reference useage i can mount the following lense combinations

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hoto_Zoom.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...6_3_dg_os.html

I can adjust the lens so that its 100% level, tighten down the plastic knobs, let go and it will just drop the front of the lens down. Its embarressing... as i still have to UNLOCK the knobs in order to raise the lens up again. its rated for 20# video camera gear.. Have had it in the corner with my macro bellows and a tiny 1 pound SLR on it, and its not moved a mm in that time..

I think macro bellows usage made it an easier sell to do an omega view

So the title of this thread should be Tripod Heads and quality so that you get recommendations for better locking heads. You also likely will want something with Quick Release that allows you to balance the load of those long heavy lenses rather than supporting at the body. there are long QR plates that allow you to move the camera backward or attach under the lens. Else a monopod in front of the tripod can be used for additional support.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

DIY

For Studio, Tow it or Rickshaw

Dear dont 8X10 with slider, Also converts to 45 and 57

USA Portrait 405 mm Lens with Packard and flash sync

New stuff by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can