Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: tripods and quality

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: tripods and quality

Interesting assistant. Does she ever do much more than stand there looking cute?

She has a sister, they plot whilst I sleep

Very handy in studio

Never argue

They do want new costume

I am working on hair and new shoes

They are very demanding

off set

ever see The After Hours?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_After_Hours

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Interesting assistant. Does she ever do much more than stand there looking cute?
    Tin Can

never admit to playing with dolls in public... especially life size ones... tends to be considered creepy.

Artist ARE WIERDOS BY PROFESSION

and damn proud of it

I need to show my wearable PET PLANTS

I EXIST IN THE NEXT AND LAST DECADE

after sky falls

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    never admit to playing with dolls in public... especially life size ones... tends to be considered creepy.
    Tin Can

+1 for the Tiltall recommendation. I've owned a couple over the years, and they're awesome.

I finally found a camera/lens combination that my Tiltall couldn't handle, however -- a Kodak 2D 8x10 and a ~6lb Voigtlander from 1866. I decided to splurge and get a Ries A-series. It's a fantastically stable but heavy beast. The great quality of the tripod makes up for the *atrocious* quality of the Ries customer service I experienced.

Been a lot of things in the way, finally went with the tiltall TE Original series tripod.. great reviews on it..

I killed my tripod.. the omega 45 proved to be too heavy for it. The leg locks dont work now... and the locking system in the head itself seems to have had internal plastic parts cracking away.

Gitzo 1570 or Manfrotto 410 Geared head on legs of your choice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g1570m-lg.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	247222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manfrotto410_getriebeneiger_prod1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	247223

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    Been a lot of things in the way, finally went with the tiltall TE Original series tripod.. great reviews on it..

I killed my tripod.. the omega 45 proved to be too heavy for it. The leg locks dont work now... and the locking system in the head itself seems to have had internal plastic parts cracking away.
    When the Tiltall is recommended, it is generally the 40-60 year old version, not the new version - sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    When the Tiltall is recommended, it is generally the 40-60 year old version, not the new version - sadly.
    newer one has a warranty out of the box.. And not everyone is selling the onld ones in good condition.

Its a judgement call, 189$ new made item with a warranty and factor repair or a 50 year old one for 150$ that has neither warranty, factory repair service, and often times is not actually usable as is.

Drew Wiley

Means nothing. How many manufacturers will still be in business for another 50 years. And generally all bets are off once a company is bought out. I've even seen "Lifetime" warranty service denied for items less than 6 months old; in fact, deceptive warranties are almost routine in certain product categories. No need to go into detail here.

Good ole Tiltalls were almost legendary for their durability, especially for an aluminum tripod. Alas, the one I inherited had experienced too many battle-scarred reincarnations already to survive yet another round.