Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cameras as enlarger

Re: cameras as enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    It's not that simple. The 23c is a condenser enlarger, and the condensers are not large enough to cover 4x5.
    The 23C does not illuminate an image area larger than 6x9cm. End of story. Period.

Conversion of 23c to 4x5" has been done, check out Wayback machine to find out more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 3.44.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	245760

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The 23C does not illuminate an image area larger than 6x9cm. End of story. Period.
    yeah agreed. but people like to do things and publish on the internet that people said it couldn't be done and it could,
    you know .. like if you buy a 23C and remove the condenser head and make a bigger negative stage and convert it to a 45MXII ..
    nothing like throwing a few C-Notes at a project just to say it can be done .. but couldn't agree more with what you said, and at some point
    one should just find a 4x5 enlarger seeing they are pretty much being given away and save the few C-Notes for other things

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    yeah agreed. but people like to do things and publish on the internet that people said it couldn't be done and it could,
    you know .. like if you buy a 23C and remove the condenser head and make a bigger negative stage and convert it to a 45MXII ..
    nothing like throwing a few C-Notes at a project just to say it can be done .. but couldn't agree more with what you said, and at some point
    one should just find a 4x5 enlarger seeing they are pretty much being given away and save the few C-Notes for other things
    Because converting a 23C to 4x5 is so much easier than just buying a 4x5 enlarger in the first place LOL!

multiplex

exactly !

When a 4X5 Beseler M type enlarger is converted to 8X10, it requires spacer to bring the head, and the lens, further out over the baseboard so larger prints can be made. This might be required on a 23C to 4X5 conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    It's not that simple. The 23c is a condenser enlarger, and the condensers are not large enough to cover 4x5. I used to have a 23c, but don't remember the details. You would need to remove the lamp house and the condensers, then replace them with a box that fits the opening where the negative carrier was, adds a space of maybe 3 to 4 inches due to the bellow draw being unlikely enough for a 135mm enlarging lens, and with a larger top opening that will take a 4x5 carrier. Then you need a new lamp house that would have some diffusion material with lamps above. I use a cheapo $10 led viewing screen for this, which works well although would be hard to turn on-off without using lens cap or other crude means. Unless you are good at building things, this would be very difficult. Laser printer likely not workable for this.

This is similar to adapters that turn 4x5 cameras into 5x7 or 8x10.
    yes the 23c II left the factory as a condensor system, however the one I own happened to have come with a beseler dual dichro color head, and the beseler factory shipped THOSE with a mounting kit, and a DIFFUSION set for the enlarger. I have the diffusers in a box, on a book case. Just looked at them, so cute and light.

Reading over the posts, I see many members have converted cameras to enlargers. Some may have realized, as I did, that having an enlarger that can focus from the negative stage rather than, or as well as the lens stage is extremely useful, and something I missed when I transitioned to Beseler 8X10s. Just as with view cameras that feature rear focus, the lens to subject distance need not change. Sizing and focusing the projected image is much easier than if one only has front focus.

Most people think about enlargers as vertical objects requiring a support post - think horizontally instead then you can mount any camera to an adjustable box on rails and/or movable easel for the paper. It may be more comfortable to work vertically on a baseboard but imagine larger prints and roll paper. You can then MacGuyver your light sources and filter paths. The rails and screwdrives that let you fine focus can be easily found.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Most people think about enlargers as vertical objects requiring a support post - think horizontally instead then you can mount any camera to an adjustable box on rails and/or movable easel for the paper. It may be more comfortable to work vertically on a baseboard but imagine larger prints and roll paper. You can then MacGuyver your light sources and filter paths. The rails and screwdrives that let you fine focus can be easily found.
    horizontal can give great sizes of paper to choose from, but how many people can actually afford to purchase LARGE sheets and rolls of paper?
    But i admit that having the ability to print a 56x40" image would be rather cool,,, but i dont think i can afford to purchase a developing tray for it.. and id hate to wonder what it would cost to build a paper tube for that. That diameter water pipe i believe is 100$ per foot