Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: starting out...

Re: starting out...

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Wait a couple of weeks (30 days for new members) and you'll be able to access the Buy/Sell forum on this site. You'll have a wide range of cameras, lenses and film holders from which to choose.
    In the meanwhile, as Paul suggests above, read.

Kumar
    Well Kumar, interesting name there..

Going to have to wait for a while anyway, I just broke the fun money account tonight by purchasing a small stash of officially unused New Old Stock sheet film holders and metal slides. More expansive then i thought it would be, but no wear and tear, with a 30 day return period is alot better thne trying to spend money on a 70 year old one thats worn to crap.

Kumar is quite a common name in India...

FYI, I sell brand new Toyo 4x5 film holders for 11,700 JPY per twin pack plus shipping.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    Well Kumar, interesting name there..

Going to have to wait for a while anyway, I just broke the fun money account tonight by purchasing a small stash of officially unused New Old Stock sheet film holders and metal slides. More expansive then i thought it would be, but no wear and tear, with a 30 day return period is alot better thne trying to spend money on a 70 year old one thats worn to crap.
    was more refering to the B.S. part of the handle..

not bad on the price you charge, but after shipping charges its almost the same as buying from Toyo itself..

I only paid 26.50 each complete unit, so im feeling broke but pretty good about it all.

My family name is quite long and many people find it difficult to pronounce. My parents weren't conversant with the American language...

Shipping one twin pack to the US costs 3,600 JPY, making for a total of 15,300 JPY.
    Toyo doesn't sell direct, and the price at B&H is $149 plus shipping. That works out to at least 22,000 JPY, about 50% more expensive.

Kumar

If you want a press camera, get a good press camera.
    Beware that some less expensive examples of Speeders look like they were hammered from amateur use, and of course no Linhof will be found cheap unless it's so old that worn parts are no longer available.
    If you want a press camera, try for a retired pro's well-loved kit, complete with all the goodies you'll need---film holders, lenses and filters, etc... --- this could save you money in the long run.
    My current Speeder is a 5x7 which I shoot handheld exclusively, so no tripod needed and since I contact print those beautiful big 5x7 negs, no enlarger required either,
    but handheld photography with film holders takes some getting used to.

If you want a 4x5, there are plenty of older monorails that soldier on just fine for less $$
    I have a Graphic View II that's a real peach and an aged Tiltall tripod completes the aluminum art deco vibe, but it has all the movements anyone could expect from a monorail of any vintage.

Why would you want a new enlarger when there are plenty of old Omegas and Beselers out there needing homes?
    Just like with press cameras, look for one that comes with all proper parts you'll need, often this will be dark room clearance.
    I have two Omegas at present, a D-II that cost me $100 a few decades ago and a D-2 that was gifted from out of the blue to me just last year. The Omega D-II/D-2 were professional quality
    when they came out and carefully maintained examples are just as good as they ever were. No print could ever read the name on the enlarger that made the print (unlike the lens---get a crummy enlarging lens and you're doomed before you even start!)

My thoughts anyway.
    Others here can speak with far more authority.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Has the OP checked out Graflex.org? Lots of good info on press cameras over there!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by DannL-USA View Post
    I now see your dilemma. You need a 4x5 Press camera with the ability to shoot 120 or 4x5 sheet film? Until you can get yourself a 4x5 enlarger, you can contact print your those 4x5 negatives. See how easy that was?! ;-) Now you need to find the right 4x5 press camera with focus screen, a 120 roll-film back, and a working lens/shutter. Shopping is the fun part. You learn as you go.

PS; I say 4x5 because the 3.25x4.25 and smaller sheet films are getting harder and harder to find. Choices are very limited.

6x9 Technical Camera options . . . (but then again there's the limited film problem)
    https://www.cameraeccentric.com/stat...horseman_2.pdf
    http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/LFN/C..._Horseman1.htm
    https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02493/02493.pdf
    https://pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02491/02491.pdf

I took the Horseman 985 route myself. Also owned a 980 at one time. Both purchased from eBay sellers in Japan. Both excellent cameras. These cameras can use stops and cams. There are plenty of Roll Film holders available. 6x9 (2x3) sheet film holders are around, but harder to find.
    the 985. is it a 4x5 or is it a 2x3? Im seeing them for sale listed as BOTH so i am somewhat knockered on that as im looking at a really nice condition one in japan the seller lists as medium format.

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    the 985. is it a 4x5 or is it a 2x3?
    2x3. There's a 4x5 expansion back but the rangefinder is not usable with it and it makes for an unwieldy package.

The only Horseman field cameras that are 4x5 have "45" in the model designation (45HF, 45HD, 45FA). None of the Horseman 4x5 field cameras has a rangefinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    2x3. There's a 4x5 expansion back but the rangefinder is not usable with it and it makes for an unwieldy package.

The only Horseman field cameras that are 4x5 have "45" in the model designation (45HF, 45HD, 45FA). None of the Horseman 4x5 field cameras has a rangefinder.
    figures, it looks like it hasnt been used since it left the factory. wishful thinking i guess.