Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: starting out...

starting out...

IS there such a thing as starting out with a press camera in 2x3 or 4x5 that isnt going to cost more then a new enlarger? seriously.. what the hell is going on with prices these days..

REAL easy to find a press camera with a roll film back, but not lens or sheet film holder... And its like sheet film holders are a DIY project now.

Re: starting out...

my pacemaker speed graphics were a little over $100 and $300 canadian, with the kit lenses. all my 4x5 film holders were $5 or $3. my enlarger was free though, so i guess technically they were more expensive. just be patient and somebody on ebay will post a camera that hasn't been cleaned in 50 years and that nobody wants to bid on.

multiplex

hard to pick something up for less than free..
    OP. good luck with the DYI, .. T Distance can be a real PITA .. starting out you might take into consideration
    that it's probably worth plunking down the $$ on a camera so ... at least you know if the reason none
    of your images are in focus is because you actually did something wrong, not that's the only kind of images the camera makes ..
    im sure a beater doesn't really cost that much ..

10 seconds on eBay I found a 4X5 rail needs bellows

$35 OBO
    Tin Can

Depends on what you want I guess (I have no clue what a new enlerger costs). A working Mamiya Press with lens and 6x9 back isn't that expensive but you give up on movements. It can even use sheet film holders and you can find them for not much because nobody uses 6x9 in sheet. If you can live with a field camera, then Wista is decent and can be found for reasonable prices. 4x5 sheet holders are not that expensive either. And reasonably priced 4x5 can be found. What is the budget and what do you want to photograph?

Film, that is expensive for a consumable...
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Rather than quote a vague, relative cost, it would be helpful to know what your budget limitations are. Press cameras are dirt common (and can be very inexpensive) if you go to the Fleabay and look. I see plenty of Speed Graphics for sale under $300, which is average if you want a working camera. If you want to search in person in thrift shops, pawn shops, estate sales, etc., then you can likely find one for half that. Film holders are also plentiful and can be had for an average price of $10 apiece, often sold in bundles of 3 or more. I am puzzled by your perception that any of these things are hard to find and overly costly - that's simply not the case.

I disagree with allowing price setting

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Rather than quote a vague, relative cost, it would be helpful to know what your budget limitations are. Press cameras are dirt common (and can be very inexpensive) if you go to the Fleabay and look. I see plenty of Speed Graphics for sale under $300, which is average if you want a working camera. If you want to search in person in thrift shops, pawn shops, estate sales, etc., then you can likely find one for half that. Film holders are also plentiful and can be had for an average price of $10 apiece, often sold in bundles of 3 or more. I am puzzled by your perception that any of these things are hard to find and overly costly - that's simply not the case.
    Tin Can

For what it may be worth (my two pesetas) I would recommend a 4x5 folder (non-monorail) and you'll be in like Flynn. Learning how to use eBay (private sellers), and watching like a hawk for under priced new listings will also help you acquire the most camera for the least mula. ;-) There is no lack of 4x5 film holders on eBay.

Cameras: Toyo, Horseman, Wista, Press cameras . . .

Film, Chems, and goods: Freestyle, B&H, Adorama . . .

Happy shopping!

P.S. Prices are interesting, especially regarding View Cameras. I think of them as a long term investment item. Prices keep going up. Cheap enlargers can "sometimes" be found at estate sales, and Craigslist. Then there's eBay and the accompanying shipping costs. There's probably 10,000 enlargers on eBay.
    Last edited by DannL-USA; 21-Jan-2024 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I disagree with allowing price setting
    What?? I'm just quoting what I found.

Just some examples:
    https://www.keh.com/shop/4x5-horseman-le-1.html
    https://www.keh.com/shop/sinar-4x5-f...dy-679681.html
    https://www.keh.com/shop/linhof-4x5-...dy-679650.html
    https://www.keh.com/shop/4x5-graflex...att-n-a-1.html
    https://www.keh.com/shop/large-forma...gs-224073.html

Of the monorails listed, I'd lead towards the Horseman. They're well built, and they are compatible with a ton of Sinar accessories, such as bellows, lens boards, viewers.....

This is what I've used the most: https://www.keh.com/shop/toyo-view-4...ra-224069.html
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/23524321363...Bk9SR5a5qf2kYw

The Toyo AX is a bit heavy, but it's very sturdy and easy to use.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know