Thread: Camera Scanner 2024

Camera Scanner 2024

I've decided to scan some of my father's negatives. He did a lot of local sports photography with a Rolleiflex Automat. Anyway, about a decade ago, some of us here worked on a semi-automated stitching scanner. We succeeded, but given today's high megapixel digital cameras, for most uses stitching isn't needed. Since most of my father's picture are 6cm square, I used a 105MN on my Z9. I made a light box with an inexpensive LED panel, one with good CRI, and I made a negative holder out of a flexible plastic cutting board. I'll take pictures of the setup soon. Any, I'm very happy with the system. Autofocus works great. The Z9 doesn't use a mechanical shutter or mirror. The light source is bright enough that I can use over a 1000th of a second shutter speed, and the files would make excellent 17" square photos at 300 dpi, assuming the negative is of high quality.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Camera Scanner 2024

Very good. Looking forward to seeing your scanner set up!

Here is my camera "scanner" setup that I made for copying 35mm slides and negatives. The frame is 3/4" plywood. I have an Olympus Pen F bellows, OM-1 50mm macro lens, and Fujifilm X-E1 16MP digital camera, with the appropriate adapters. The light source was from a battery-powered LED closet light (4 AA batteries) that I power at 5V from a USB cable. The stage is made from styrene sheet and 1/4" styrene H-column shapes. You can get both at a hobby shop or art supply store like Dick Blicks. I have two pieces of frosted glass diffusers (2.5" square) above the LED. The negative holder slips off and I can put slides between the H-beams that support it. My typical exposure is 1/30 second at f11, ISO 200.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2348.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	245792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	245791
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2347.jpg  

Looks good!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Did the same a few years ago and soon realized that wiping the negatives with an orange Ilford ANTISTATICUM cloth before shooting them removed a whole lot of dust and dirt.

I use an air bulb and a sticky silicone roller for records. Works great.