Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain focuser for tired eyes?

Grain focuser for tired eyes?

I’ve been using the same grain focuser for decades; a Bestwell Microsight III. Lately I’m finding that I need more magnifying power, especially with small prints from 4x5 Tmax negatives. Yes I do adjust the eyepiece so the hair line is sharp. As a workaround I keep a TXP negative with plenty of contrast and details handy to get me in the focus ballpark. Are there any more powerful grain focusers out there?

Re: Grain focuser for tired eyes?

Edward I'm there also...my eyes are simply not what they used to be for really fine focus with my current magnifier. Years ago I did get a chance to try out a "Peak 1" magnifier (mfg. by Omega?) which allows planar adjustments to the front surface reflecting mirror (allowing accurate focus out to the edges of the image) and it looked pretty amazing...but I, too, am ready to hear others insights about where we might go next with this. So many thanks for posting your query!

Also...from a curious fellow Vermonter - where are you in Vermont?

The Peak focuser is a mythological item now.. the peak folks have no clue if they will ever recieve anymore from the company that actually makes them.

have seen many oddball styles of focuser being used in youtube videos. My favorite looking one is a rectangular BOX shape. used by roger loew at "shoot film like a boss". id be happy with that as it actually looks like slide film viewer.

Not sure of the accuracy of this info...

According to this the Peak 1 is only 10X: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l=1#post726659

According to this the Micro Sight Bestwell is 25X: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ing-1791895027

Get the Peak. There's none better IM-HO.

Eyeglasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Get the Peak. There's none better IM-HO.
    I would agree having used mine for a Really long time and never wished for more.

Any Peak model (there were three as I recall) is better than the rest. You won’t regret the investment.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

The best way to focus printing is to get an area in focuser that has a division between a thin and dense area and focus until there is the greatest contrast difference between those areas...

One feature of optics is when an area is in focus, there is a maximum contrast between densities, so focus for that also...

And the larger the neg, the harder to see grain when using a focusing magnifier... Easy with a 35mm neg, but harder larger as the smaller neg is magnified more per print size due to enlargement ratio...

Steve K

Thanks folks. I found a used Peak at Catlabs, it will arrive this week.