Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What, if any, are the drawbacks to owning a Kodak Master View 8x10?

Re: What, if any, are the drawbacks to owning a Kodak Master View 8x10?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank everyone on the site for their help. In particular I would like to thank both Dave and Paul for their help and insights. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am not going to lie, it took me a little bit to process everyones opinion. I really had to mull everything over.

One thing that stood out for me was whatPaul said concerning a camera being a "tool" that exists ultimately to enable you to make something and how it needs to be the right tool for the job I think is really important. Over the years I have mostly gotten by with banged up equipment because I have never been the type of person who saw his equipment as a fashion statement. Ideally I would love to buy a $4,000 Chamonix camera but that is a hard investment to make for a piece of equipment I have only read about and never actually seen let alone used. Also, I can easily see myself getting robbed and being out a few months worth of wages in a moment.

Additionally, the resale value of the intrepid should not be a huge concern. Daves points are correct but if I have to sell it for $400 or $350 then it means I have to eat some of the cost but that is not too bad if I get a good year of shooting with it.

Still, Dave does make one great point that is hard to get around. If the equipment is subpar then you risk putting yourself into a position where you are tossing good money after bad or worse your experience with photography sours because your images fail to come out.

So I guess the real issue for me is will the camera work and will I enjoy using it. That is why I was thinking about getting a Kodak Master View . I intend to travel with this camera and carry it with me throughout Ecuador's countryside. I figured it checked most of the boxes. It looked like it hit a nice compromise of being both light enough, sturdy and not too expensive. I don’t know why this decision is so hard to make.

One direction I should investigate would be looking at the Stenocpia. I have read a little bit about it and it looks like an interesting camera and does not weigh too much. Also it costs about the same price as the KMV. The question is how sturdy it is. I probably should research that next. I could not find any reviews on the 8x10 on youtube. Does anyone have any insight on it?

Also, if I do decide to get the Kodak Master View, how do people protect the screen? Additionally the suggestion of the 12 inch Ektar is helpful but how does someone know if they are buying a lens that functions correctly? I mean it is a really old shutter. How does someone know it will keep working after you buy it?

Sorry for all the questions and once again I would like to thank everyone for the help.

-Andrew

Wood cameras are repairable anywhere

Lean NOW how to make a GG any where

Pack a 35mm film can with Grit for field repair

I am very glad I did NOT retire to Ecuador as planned
    Tin Can

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Keep in mind that whatever used camera you buy, if you get it at a fair price, you can resell it at a fair price if it doesn't work out. New cameras will lose some value when they become used, which is immediately.

If you do get a KMV, I'd get an extra ground glass, install that, and put the original away for safe keeping. As mentioned, it's a rarity you likely can never replace, and I always found the pattern on the original a bit distracting anyways.

Not many of us see cameras as "fashion statements", but we often develop a bit of an emotional attachment to them. Older cameras have their own history, and if properly cared for, will keep having a history long after we're gone. And while they may not be fashion statements, some are really quite beautiful.

If you're really utilitarian, you might also keep your eye out for a Wehman 8x10. Just mentioning it because no one else had (I think).
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Good appraisal Mark!
    Something of value & appreciation in using vintage gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Keep in mind that whatever used camera you buy, if you get it at a fair price, you can resell it at a fair price if it doesn't work out. New cameras will lose some value when they become used, which is immediately.

If you do get a KMV, I'd get an extra ground glass, install that, and put the original away for safe keeping. As mentioned, it's a rarity you likely can never replace, and I always found the pattern on the original a bit distracting anyways.

Not many of us see cameras as "fashion statements", but we often develop a bit of an emotional attachment to them. Older cameras have their own history, and if properly cared for, will keep having a history long after we're gone. And while they may not be fashion statements, some are really quite beautiful.

If you're really utilitarian, you might also keep your eye out for a Wehman 8x10. Just mentioning it because no one else had (I think).

I had a friend that picked up an 8x10 Kodak Master View in very worn condition. Took him probably two more years to find and acquire replacement parts, but in the end for under probably $200.00 had a very good sample of the camera. Still was serving him quite well the last time I talked with him.

Hi Mark,

I can not find the Wehman 8x10 at all on the web. It looks really interesting though. I will keep an eye out for it.

I did get lucky and recently found two old film holders in an acquaintance basement. One was an 8x10 fidelity but it is missing the two dark slides and it was dusty as all hell. The other was wooden. It was wrapped in plastic and it was really clean. The wooden one was called a sterling cut film holder and it was made by Kodak. They both need to be fixed however. They Sterling needs some sort of dark tape at the hinge because the tape that is there is all dried out.

Are all dark slides the same? Are fidelity elite, fidelity deluxe and graphflex the same size? If I buy them off the web will they fit?

--Andrew

I think mark is definitely correct about swapping out the ground glass.

in the 1980s, I occasionally used a KMV 8x10 on the job, and later had one of my own. They are fine cameras, and I wish that I'd been able to keep mine. My only issue (and it's a minor one) was that the tripod mount is too near the back for perfect balance. But If I was going to look for an 8x10 today, a KMV would be at the top of the list.

For protecting the ground glass, I cushion it with a folded focusing cloth. You could also make a ground glass protector out of plexiglass cut to size and folded over in a "U" ---a supplier like Precision Plastics can probably do that for you---and inserted like a film holder (does this make any sense?)

For a 12" Ektar you're probably going to looking at a 12" Commercial Ektar in a #4 Acme Synchro or possibly a 14" Commercial Ektar in a #5 Universal Synchro.
    Commercial Ektars were single coated, while the earlier, regular Ektars likely were uncoated. Look for an "L" in a circle on the bezel for a clue. Since you're investing a lot of $$ in your trip to Ecuador, I'd recommend scheduling a C-L-A clean lube & adjust for any lens before wheels up.
    One issue with these Ektars is with attaching a filter. Press on threaded adapters have become hard to find in larger sizes, so for quite a while I used Lee Polyesters with my Commercial Ektar, that were held on with a Lee gizmo and rubber bands from grocery store asparagus.
    Hey, it worked for me!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

New Orleans, LA

I have a Canham Ground Glass Protector that helps keep the gg protected. https://viewcamerastore.com/products...nt=24817750471. Having a spare gg is also a good idea.

When I got my KMV it needed new bellows (Custom Bellows; UK) so, while waiting for that, I took the camera completely apart and cleaned everything. The great part about putting it back together was that all the screws, nuts, bolts, etc. are readily available at any local hardware store so I was able to easily replace anything that looked suspect. (The parts list can be found online at Butkus.org)

Regarding lenses and, more importantly, shutters, perhaps a modern lens in a Copal shutter that's been recently serviced would be a more reliable option. Any used shutter should be serviced before such an extensive trip. I'm partial to Fuji lenses and I think their 300mm C is, essentially, a modern version of the older Kodak Tessars. The 305mm G-Claron is a great normal lens as well and Kerry Thalmann lists the 300mm Nikon M as one of his Future Classics. The modern lenses are all threaded for standard filters (52mm in the above examples) whereas the older Kodak lenses are Series based threads.

Finally, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee used these cameras and they traveled extensively throughout the US and Europe. The KMV is durable and functional and I think you will be happy with your decision. Keep us posted!