Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Light Panel for 11x14 Enlarger?

Re: LED Light Panel for 11x14 Enlarger?

Lots of light...yes indeed! My gut tells me that I'll ultimately need to seek out some top-tier LED's of very narrow/specific (RGB) wavelengths and cobble something together myself...attempting to emulate my super efficient 5x7 Heiland LED/VC head (which I still sometimes need to "power down" while printing 40x60's!).

On the other hand, I do also need to be open to the possibility that I will fall in love, once again...with 11x14 contact prints. And oh my goodness...would that ever solve so many issues! But still...I've got this enlarging itch (enlarging enlarging itch?) that I just need to scratch!

Remember Ansel's 8x10 enlarger, the one with a grid of the halogen bulbs? I'd try something similar, but I'd use high cri LED Cob fixtures, possibly RGB, depending on lumen output. Maybe use a lux meter to meter how much light your enlarger puts at at a normal sized enlargement, and then do a test with one of the leds.....Actually, I could probably do that for you, but I'd be limited to 8x10. When you get closer, and if it'd help, remind me. I have a couple of mid-level COB lights. What aperture would you be using your g-claron at? F11? I just built a light box for digital camera scanning using one of the panels, but the lumen output is no where near what you'd need.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Tin Can

Yes I do

I have a bigger one

Saltzman mounts 25 Edison sockets with heavy wiring

Round pattern 25” sg

Ifs in my catalogue
    Tin Can

Mr. Can yes I've thought about something similar. In fact, I believe that Uncle Ansel used a multi-edison bulb array for quite some time - and, obviously, quite successfully!

...or how about this - to realize the maximum efficiency of an LED light panel, I either purchase or create three of them, one just green, one just blue, and one just white. I could have a slot at the rear of my DIY'd horizontal enlarger to allow quick yet stable insertion/removal of these panels as needed for focus (white panel), then testing, and then split grade printing (green and blue panels).

In fact, with a bit of creative and light-proof cowling, I could construct a "panel box" with its own slot, and have this isolated (contact and vibration-wise) from the enlarger by using a blackout cloth cowling to connect box to enlarger, mitigating potential movement of the enlarger during the panel changes.

I might also be able to incorporate an electrical switch mechanism so that there would be just one connecting plug for the timer for all three panels - so I would not need to remove and re-plug during the process.

Sound like a plan?

I am recalling my 2013 plot

I covered LED panel wit dark cloth

Not all timers worked

The timer on lagged

More asi remember
    Tin Can

I bought many smaller one light panels

I made ULF enlarges positives' as gifts to my Doctor

I also used X-Ray to makes stained glass

I bought a Saltzman neg stretcher which I used as "Head'

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JJOEK4O...1zcF9kZXRhaWwy
    Tin Can

Mr. Can you remind me, that with respect to my "three separate light panels" post above, and that there may indeed be a slight lag in stable brightness (especially as these panels will likely be DIY) - that I will be using my (shutter-mounted) 305mm G-Claron as an enlarging lens, and will be sure to make good use of its shutter to begin timed exposures only after such stability is achieved.

What happens with LEDs is that they get brighter up to a certain temp. As they go above the temperature, they get a bit dimmer. I usually run mine a bit lower than maximum brightness.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know