Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Real Reason To Favor One Particular Lens Line?

Any Real Reason To Favor One Particular Lens Line?

As a guy thinking about getting into LF, I've been searching through a lot of older posts here. There are lots of posts asking to compare different "modern" (coated) optics, both in the form of "X focal length from Y brand or Z brand" or even "X focal length from Y line and Z line within the same brand", and the consensus usually seems to be "you can't go wrong [unless one of the two doesn't cover the image circle you need]".

So is it really the consensus that there's no strong distinction in "look", sharpness, even build quality, and doesn't really matter whether I pick Schneider vs Fuji vsNikon vs Rodenstock? Or even, like, Symmar S vs APO-Symmar?

Would you even think it matters, once I pick one, that I stick with it? Are two focals lengths of Nikkor-W's going to "match" any better than a Nikkor-W and a Nikkor-M? Or a Nikkor-SW and a Super Angulon XL?

Re: Any Real Reason To Favor One Particular Lens Line?

The older single-coated writing-on-the-front Fujinon W and SW lenses often have larger image circles than comparable lenses from other manufacturers which makes some like the W-series 180mm f5.6, 210mm f5.6 and 250mm f6.7 lenses cheap options for 8x10.

I've never seen anything solid to support the assertion but people have asserted that brand X offers (a) consistent color rendition across the line and (b) that color rendition is (pick one) warmer or cooler that brand Y's. I've also seen assertions that Japanese lenses consistently have "more clinical rendition" than German.

If you want to know about color rendition, look at published transmission by wavelength curves or get a spectrophotometer and a heap or lenses and measure what they do.

My approach has been to get lenses that offer what I think I need (coverage? performance close-up? light weight?), buy inexpensive, often "off brand," and when a lens arrives ask it if it good enough. Most seem to be.

I found it easy to know just one or two brands. Pick a brand and try to get all the brochures and technical files for their lenses. Trying to do that for all the brands is a hobby in itself. Though some, like Dan, have done it.

As Dan says, decide what focal length you want, then pick a lens based on the features you want -- and the price. And don't forget, that you will not be the first photographer in the world that trades in one lens for another -- for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I've also seen assertions that Japanese lenses consistently have "more clinical rendition" than German.
    I heard it described that German design favoured resolution and accuracy, while Japanese design favoured "looking good" which usually meant contrast.

When lenses were still in production

PRO photographers were given a few to test, to find the best one from the factory

Variables exist the eye of the beholder

I worked in 2 huge factories, constantly testing

Failures, yes

Big Dog says SHIP! sometimes

More often I shut down production
    Tin Can

Only reason I prefer the Fuji CM-W line is that in the focal lengths I prefer they all use a 67mm filter so I only have a single set to take along.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

In my experience (I've been using large format in an "amateur way" for at least 50 years) you will be happy with any mix of lenses from the "Big 3" you mention: Schneider, Nikon, Rodenstock. Within their lines, they made lenses at different price points, and there are differences between those. But we introduce a bunch of variables in between the lens and the final print: choice of film, choice of developer, and our own skill levels. Given that, I would not be too picky between manufacturer's offerings at similar price points, I would suggest you choose the focal lengths you want at prices that seem reasonable to you from any of those three manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    I heard it described that ......
    That says it all.