Thread: Rodenstock Sironar 210 on a Copal 1 Nikkor W 180 5,6 shutter

Rodenstock Sironar 210 on a Copal 1 Nikkor W 180 5,6 shutter

Hello I have a question for who can answer me.
    I'm going to buy a Rodenstock Sinaron S 210 5,6 branded "Apo Sironar-N" that is mounted on a Nikon W 180 5,6 Copal 1 shutter.
    I'm wondering if is ok or is possible to have any issues with the aperture scale ?
    Also any impression on this lens?
    Thanks a lot
    Ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8014.jpg   IMG_8015.jpg  

Re: Rodenstock Sironar 210 on a Copal 1 Nikkor W 180 5,6 shutter

Of course the aperture scale will be off. The f-stop depends on the focal length of the lens. It won't be off by much though. You might be able to use the same scale -- just move it in the correct direction (how much???) -- or make a new one, or buy a new scale (probably any scale from a 180mm lens will work, but it has to be the same shutter).

Yes.
    If the scale hasn't already been moved, then you will be getting f/6.5 when you set it at the marked f/5.6 . But as Xkaes says, the scale can be moved and if done correctly, then all the other apertures will be correct. The only thing I don't know off-hand is whether there is any 'hard stop' set for the iris at f/5.6 for the 180 lens, that would not allow it to open (more) to the full size required for f/5.6 for a 210 lens.

The difference is just under half a stop. I think it's close enough that a half-stop shift will do.
    So, if you are going to use the existing scale by removing and re-mounting it, then you need to mark on the barrel where the current mid-point of f/5.6 and f/8 is ; then position the 'f/8' of the remounted scale there.

The fine detail of the Nikkor and the Sironar lens designs will not be quite the same, but I believe they will be similar enough for this calc to work, probably significantly less than a 1/3-stop error.

ps. this all assumes that your seller didn't go to the trouble of doing this.

The error will become more critical at small apertures, if you are using B+W film, you should be ok. But I would still want to check the entrance pupil size for the correct diameter at the f stop that you want. ( 180 divided by 5.6 = 32.14 etc )

No, any error will be the same at all smaller apertures. Once you have it set for eg. f/5.6 or f/8, the (precision) iris blades and mechanism should ensure that the smaller apertures maintain the correct relationship to the full aperture.

210 is maybe one of the most popular large format focal lengths. I'd look for another lens with the correct scale unless this one is very inexpensive.
    A while back I had a 210mm for which I paid about $125 and I was able to make an aperture scale with a label maker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-touch (adjusted).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	245433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f-numbers.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	245434

Why buy this lens? Buy one that's in the correct shutter.

There are many good lenses that haven't been molested in some way.