Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 4x5 enlarger worth it? Any experiences?

Intrepid 4x5 enlarger worth it? Any experiences?

Hi all,

I’m about to jump head first into large format photography and so I’m trying to finesse my first kit. Since I’m interested in 3 possibly unrelated photography styles, I need to leave myself lots of flexibility.

“Regular” 4x5 bw work;
    6x17 panoramics;
    Tintype;

I have the option for a free 4x5 camera, I just need to get a lens and some film carriers. Camera is very good and I feel would more than suffice for all above purposes. Roll film and tintypes I’d of course, scan but 4x5 I wish to print.

Space and money comes at a premium so a small solution like the Intrepid 4x5 kit looks very appealing…. Any experiences or recommendations there?

I could use my camera and lens, fit it with their light and it’s off to the races.

I’d love to be able to make fiber based prints, upt to a max size of 50x60 cm (like… 20x30 in?).

Many thanks in advance for all the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Intrepid 4x5 enlarger worth it? Any experiences?

Do your research first. You can get a lot of used 4x5 enlargers -- in great shape -- for next to nothing nowadays.

The Intrepid enlarger has been discussed quite a bit lately on this FORUM. Others will jump in with their opinions to this post, but I'd suggest you also do an ADVANCED SEARCH (upper right hand corner of this screen) for INTREPID ENLARGER -- select TITLE ONLY.
    Last edited by xkaes; 6-Jan-2024 at 12:19.

Hey, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I did do a search (maybe not advanced, I don’t remember) but wasn’t really any smarter with what I read.

I understand that the current version is much improved and comes with a “color head” of a sort so both bw and color is possible. Contrast filters also built in which is a huge convenience.

The thing is, I live in Croatia and it’s really not feasible to purchase an old 4x5 enlarger, plus, I would use their light source for negative scaning as well (for the 6x17 negs).

Probably woll have a very small space so no proper enlargers are possible unfortunately :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it and find it great. Like you, where I live finding a 4x5 enlarger is a pipe dream so the Intrepid Kit comes to the rescue.

I would suggest getting a good copy stand that you can mount the camera to, that's pretty important. Also make sure that your 4x5 camera has a graflok back and that the enlarger kit can fit. I'd also recommend that you look for 135mm enlarger lens instead of the standard 150mm as you'll be able to print bigger with less height.

I've used plenty of enlargers and I've gotten great results with the Intrepid Kit; yeah it's a little finicky to set up and you have to align it every set up but the results are good.
    Last edited by Amoore; 6-Jan-2024 at 14:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Amoore View Post
    I use it and find it great. Like you, where I live finding a 4x5 enlarger price is a pipe dream so the Intrepid Kit comes to the rescue.

I would suggest getting a good copy stand that you can mount the camera to, that's pretty important. Also make sure that your 4x5 camera has a graflok back and that the enlarger kit can fit. I'd also recommend that you look for 135mm enlarger lens instead of the standard 150mm as you'll be able to print bigger with less height.

I've used plenty of enlargers and I've gotten great results with the Intrepid Kit; yeah it's a little finicky to set up and you have to align it every set up but the results are good.
    Amoore, thanks, this is very reassuring . Basically, I get a darkroom printer and a film scanner in one package AND it's all small. So, you think I should go for a 135 enlarger lens instead of a 150 camera (shooting) lens? Because, the plan was to get a Fujinon 150, to see if I like this whole affair... and use that one for printing.

Also, I see that Intrepid suggests printing up to 20x24 inches, not larger. Does this mean that this kit cannot print larger (say, by wall projection) or they simply do not recommend it? Considering my skill level and the cost of materials, I doubt I will ever attempt larger prints but just asking.

A 135mm lens would be better for your situation, but if you were thinking of getting a Fujinon 150mm large format lens for your camera -- and use that as an enlarging lens -- I'd try that first, even though it's not an enlarging lens. If you want larger prints, but can't get big enough with your set-up, one approach is to put a +1 diopter close-up lens on the 150mm.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    A 135mm lens would be better for your situation, but if you were thinking of getting a Fujinon 150mm large format lens for your camera -- and use that as an enlarging lens -- I'd try that first, even though it's not an enlarging lens. If you want larger prints, but can't get big enough with your set-up, one approach is to put a +1 diopter close-up lens on the 150mm.
    what sort of distortion does that cause?

While I generally agree that 135mm enlarging lens would give a little more flexibility for your enlarger setup...if you want just one lens for making enlargements and taking photographs, and at a very reasonable price, then I'd recommend the 150mm G-Claron.

I use 135mm on a wonderful Beseler CB7

Power adjust, Tilts too

Bigger condenser

Love it on OE Table

I can use it in wheelchair
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    what sort of distortion does that cause?
    The amount of distortion depends on the diopter strength, the quality of the CU lens, and the aperture used. So basically there is no noticeable distortion for a #1 good quality CU lens stopped down two f-stops:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/close-up.htm

A #1 CU lens on a 150mm creates a 130mm lens -- no change in f-stop.

Here is a high quality Minolta #1 CU lens on a Fujinon 135mm f5.6 enlarging lens -- producing a 119mm f5.6 lens:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enlarge.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	245375

FYI, you can do the same thing to "taking" lenses, projection lenses, etc.