Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper safes

Re: Paper safes

It needs to be portable. I’m traveling by mass transit to a community darkroom. The Brumberger might be a bit awkward on the A train.

In my experience, the use of a paper safe is too costly when light is turned on at the wrong moment

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

I always used the box wherein the paper came.
    But to be sure I lined the box with some extra black paper and made an inner cover with a sheet of black paper having the right size of the inner part of the box.
    Just some DIY will do...

Oh...mass transit? Yeah, too risky for a plastic paper safe...to awkward/dangerous for a heavy clumsy Brumberger...so just use the paper box and make sure the inner black bag is tightly sealed. A bit less convenient when on site but at least you'll have good paper to work with!

Alternately...is there a way to safely leave a supply of paper at the community darkroom? Are there lockers available there?

I never travel, never a problem

I love my CHEAP Plastic Paper AND X-Ray Paper/X_Ray Safes

Clean, no light leaks, they stack

I bought mine at least 10 years ago

They all are oversize, 3 up to 22X26" inside

Free Shipping!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Oh...mass transit? Yeah, too risky for a plastic paper safe...
    Why do you say that John? The one I used had a fastener (Velcro?) on the end to keep it from popping open. I could also run a strap across the top.

I’m just trying to be efficient with my time and not fiddle around with the box and bag each time I make a print. The darkroom only has a couple of these and it’s first come first served. Just trying to be self sufficient to the greatest extent possible.

I use the Brumberger models. A 11x14 Brumberger is huge, as big as a microwave oven. I have a bunch of different paper safes. The easiest to use are the clamshell like black plastic models. These are still available (I think), best found used and local. Keep it empty, when you want to print put in your paper and go. Use two different papersafes one exposed one fresh.
    All these things can be left cocked open a bit, the clasp on the plastic things if left at a 45° angle will hold the lid up just enough to ruin your day.

Bob...I'm just imagining myself in a crowded bus or subway car - doing my best to protect a fragile plastic paper safe. Perhaps if it could be placed into a slightly larger cardboard box...or even a single compartment, padded equipment case? Hmmm...

But I could not imagine myself schlepping a Brumberger around on mass transit!

If you buy a paper safe new, it comes in a cardboard box that could be used to transport it. I would add a strip of gaffer's tape to keep the lid closed, too. Are you carrying a negative file as well? How do you transport your finished prints--are they dry or still damp in a blotter book? If so, a Granny cart might be useful. I don't think a 12x16 paper safe would fit in a backpack.

I bring the negatives in Besfile binder- box. Only the ones I’m working with. Developed prints, contact sheets etc go home in same box. Darkroom has a print dryer so they are not wet.

I transport this stuff in a knapsack or tote bag. The paper safe would go in the knapsack/tote with the Besfile binder.

I didn’t realize these things were fragile. The one I used was not metal, for sure, but it also didn’t feel like it was going to be delicate.