Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

Re: Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I doubt something that thin causes any focus issues by the time you’re at F22 or smaller, or that it creates any light leak possibilities.

However, there’s other ways of doing what you’re doing. For example I use sleeves — sold on the auction site, they’re reversible, red or black, so I’ll use that to differentiate eg b&w vs E6. When I need more than two types I simply use painters tape on the outside of the sleeve and write down the film. If its use changes in the future I simply peel it off and write a new one.

I think it’s a good idea to use sleeves of some sort to avoid dust and alike, so at that point, I think it’s better to mark the sleeve with the film type than the holder. That said you’re probably fine, if you’re really worried just take two identical shots with and without a dot and see if you tell a difference. I bet you can’t, unless you bump into the camera between shots
    I like the idea of a sleeve for dust. But for identification, I can see myself mixing up sleeves and holders. Thnaks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    There are so many chances for tolerances in camera backs, holders and film flatness to accumulate in the wrong direction that I wouldn't put them there. The link you provided indicates those dots are 1/2-inch diameter. Even of it required trimming a bit off them, I'd instead place them on the edge of the holder, i.e. the short surface, as shown. In the worst case, if the dot edge is down (assuming a horizontal image), vertical alignment of the image area with the ground glass might be shifted the thickness of the dot. Not significant.
    I could use a smaller 1/4" dot so it fits on the dark slide. The only issue is you reverse the slide after shooting so the dot faces inward and is harder to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I could use a smaller 1/4" dot so it fits on the dark slide. The only issue is you reverse the slide after shooting so the dot faces inward and is harder to see.
    In that case you need five dots per holder. One of a color that indicates the film type on each side of the dark slides' pull handles and a white dot to indicate "unexposed" on only one side of each dark slide pull handle.

Or, you could just use a plastic holder that has areas for taking notes. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    In that case you need five dots per holder. One of a color that indicates the film type on each side of the dark slides' pull handles and a white dot to indicate "unexposed" on only one side of each dark slide pull handle.
    That could work. I could also fold the dot over the edge of the dark slide so I can see it on both sides. But I like writing the film type on the dot and there wouldn;t be much room. Color coding is good for keeping the holder in groups. But I forget what film each color represents by themselves.

Dry erase labels. Like mailing labels, but dry erase. Sold by the roll on the big-A. Cut a thin piece and affix to the frame of the film holder and write the name etc of the film, or whatever other markings you want. As for exposed/not exposed indicator on the dark slide, a thin slice of whatever color tape you like attached to the grip part of the dark slide.

I don't understand the fuss with the colored dots when you can put a small piece of tape on the frame and write actual words to describe what's in the holder. Just a modern version of writing in pencil on the white strip on the Fidelity/Toyo holders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	245487

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	245488

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	245487

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	245488
    Works nice on plastic but not on the wooden ones from Chamonix

Does tape stick differently to wood? That hasn't been my experience with tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    Does tape stick differently to wood? That hasn't been my experience with tape.
    I think there's some type of varnish on the Chamonix wood holders.