Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

Re: Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Can the tape you put on the holders change the focal point on the film?
    Good question, but wouldn't that be way within tolerance if you shoot at F8.0 or a smaller aperture? Just guessing..

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I don’t see how. The tape is on the handle part of the dark slide where you grab it to pull it out. It’s not on the body of the holder where it could be pushing the holder away from the camera’s back.
    I've got memo's at either side

Can the tape you put on the holders change the focal point on the film?
    No its on the dark slide itself as a strip in the middle. Painters tape is thin enough that it does not impact the slide when pulled out of the holder. It also leaves no residue or is so little that its not noticeable.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I use gaffer's tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gihl_140808_0071.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	245297
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

Quote Originally Posted by younghoon Kil View Post
    I use gaffer's tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gihl_140808_0071.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	245297
    What if I put it here. Would that effect the focus?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard01.jpg  

What if I put it here. Would that effect the focus?
    Why would you put it there? The dark slide orientation is the only thing that changes when a sheet is exposed. Marking the holder itself would tell nothing about exposure status. Unless you're suggesting carrying a roll of tape and putting a piece on the holder each time a sheet is exposed, which isn't something I'd even consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Why would you put it there? The dark slide orientation is the only thing that changes when a sheet is exposed. Marking the holder itself would tell nothing about exposure status. Unless you're suggesting carrying a roll of tape and putting a piece on the holder each time a sheet is exposed, which isn't something I'd even consider.
    Since I shoot different films, I mark what film is in each holder. I use these little removable circular "dot" stickums. See link. They're color-coded to the film type. I also write the film type on the "dot" It makes it easier when I pull out a holder to get the right film. Also, when I get home, it helps me separate the holders and film for processing since I shoot bw and color of different film types. So I;,m wondering if the dot would cause focus issues if it's placed there. (The picture says painters' tape, but it's actually these dots.)

https://www.amazon.com/Removable-Col...15&sr=8-4&th=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard01.jpg  

Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

Since I shoot different films, I mark what film is in each holder. I use these little removable circular "dot" stickums. See link. They're color-coded to the film type. I also write the film type on the "dot" It makes it easier when I pull out a holder to get the right film. Also, when I get home, it helps me separate the holders and film for processing since I shoot bw and color of different film types. So I;,m wondering if the dot would cause focus issues if it's placed there. (The picture says painters' tape, but it's actually these dots.)

I doubt something that thin causes any focus issues by the time you’re at F22 or smaller, or that it creates any light leak possibilities.

However, there’s other ways of doing what you’re doing. For example I use sleeves — sold on the auction site, they’re reversible, red or black, so I’ll use that to differentiate eg b&w vs E6. When I need more than two types I simply use painters tape on the outside of the sleeve and write down the film. If its use changes in the future I simply peel it off and write a new one.

I think it’s a good idea to use sleeves of some sort to avoid dust and alike, so at that point, I think it’s better to mark the sleeve with the film type than the holder. That said you’re probably fine, if you’re really worried just take two identical shots with and without a dot and see if you tell a difference. I bet you can’t, unless you bump into the camera between shots

There are so many chances for tolerances in camera backs, holders and film flatness to accumulate in the wrong direction that I wouldn't put them there. The link you provided indicates those dots are 1/2-inch diameter. Even of it required trimming a bit off them, I'd instead place them on the edge of the holder, i.e. the short surface, as shown. In the worst case, if the dot edge is down (assuming a horizontal image), vertical alignment of the image area with the ground glass might be shifted the thickness of the dot. Not significant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dot on edge.jpg  

I am amazed at all the sheet film left in the many film holders I bought when they were too cheap

I stopped processing them when I found most were never shot

Especially Color Film

Now I just Bin the film

OR use it to check Fixer Speed
    Tin Can