Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

I just acquired a couple of Chamonix 4x5 film holders. Nice....but have a question for anyone familiar with or used them. How do you tell whether a sheet of film has been exposed? Unlike most, it does not have the white/black top so you have immediate reference regarding exposed vs unexposed. I can figure a way to do it but maybe I am missing something simple. Any suggestions on how you are doing it?

Re: Chamonix 4x5 film holder. How to tell if Film exposed?

When I worked with Hugo to get Chamonix into whole plate, he accommodated my suggestion that the holders' dark slides have white dots on one side of their protruding pulls. I've no idea whether they still do. In your case, a small piece of self-adhesive white label (or tape) would serve the same purpose.

which ones are you referring to? the wooden ones or the plastic ones? the wooden have (unless they've changed) a white dot to the right on one side of the slide, and not on the other. I don't know about the.plastic ones. On the 8X10 the light ones also have a white dot but the regular ones don't, go figure (they however have "Chamonix" engraved on one side but not the other). I used a small rectangular piece of white tape on those to help visually.

Photographer

I masked off one side of the holder and sprayed the tab silver.
    Keith Pitman

I use a brother label maker and label the sides of the tab:
    "unexposed" - white letters on black background
    "exposed" - black letters on white background

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    When I worked with Hugo to get Chamonix into whole plate, he accommodated my suggestion that the holders' dark slides have white dots on one side of their protruding pulls. I've no idea whether they still do. In your case, a small piece of self-adhesive white label (or tape) would serve the same purpose.
    It appears that mine were from Shen Hao. That's likely the difference. They do not have the white dots. I will probably just use a small peice of white gaffer tape. Thanks for all comments.

I use blue painters tape on the slide and write the Film type on it. When exposed I put a checkmark or other info like location, date, and process instructions N or N+-. I have thought about painting a white square on the slide and using dry erase markers to label the film type. You can also add the blue tape to the holder after exposure.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I turn the lock of the slide the other way around. When it's directed to the outside it's unexposed, inwards is exposed. This counts mainly for the Chamonix holders, the plastic brands have locks that can turn unintended

Can the tape you put on the holders change the focal point on the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Can the tape you put on the holders change the focal point on the film?
    I don’t see how. The tape is on the handle part of the dark slide where you grab it to pull it out. It’s not on the body of the holder where it could be pushing the holder away from the camera’s back.