Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Drew Wiley

Re: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Seems like a very minor new tweak to the Lee compendium & thread adapter system which has been around a long time. I think I'd prefer the older simpler design - less things to wear out break, or snag a cable release.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Seems like a very minor new tweak to the Lee compendium & thread adapter system which has been around a long time. I think I'd prefer the older simpler design - less things to wear out break, or snag a cable release.
    Good for you. I've been using Lee100 for two years, for both stills and video work, and I'm very happy with the performance of the system and the hood. If you check out the Blackmagic forum, you'll find discussion by a Blackmagic Design advisor and feature film cinematographer about the attractions of the Panavision/Lee Lee100 system. Indeed, you're the sole person that I've come across who's hankering for the old system.

When Beastgrip ships its iPhone 15-specific cage this coming month, I'll also be using Lee100, including its ProGlass IRND filters and hood, with an iPhone 15 Pro Max and Blackmagic's new camera app. If you aren't familiar with Beastgrip, that's the company that supplied Apple with phone cages for its October event. That's a Beastgrip cage that Apple chose for its thumbnail image just below:

Behind the scenes: An Apple Event shot on iPhone
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Dec-2023 at 09:33.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    There is no 4x5 standard. It's "every man for himself". Much depends on the lenses that you plan on using. I would think that your current set-up would be adaptable for any lens with a 77mm filter thread -- and there are only a few lenses that have threads wider than that. A lot also depends on how far out in front of the lens your current set-up sticks out. My Cokin adapter sticks way out -- which is very limiting.
    For square filters, I think that 100mmx100mm is probably used by the great majority of 4x5 photographers. How often does one see smaller or larger sizes discussed? That said, if one can get away with smaller filters, such as Lee Seven5 or Lee85, there's a clear cost saving.

As you suggest, the combination of the filter holder and the ring that adapts a particular lens's thread size to the holder raises the issue of vignetting. That's why Lee makes standard adapter rings and, for several adapter ring sizes, wide angle adapter rings. The latter are low profile and help avoid vignetting.

One can also forego the filter holder altogether and hold the filter against the lens by hand.*

There's a guy called The Filter Dude who makes adapter rings for the Lee100 holder. These are less expensive than Lee's own. I have three of his adapter rings and they work perfectly well. He also makes an inexpensive filter holder, but I have no experience with it. I believe that he's located in Pennsylvania.

* In the post just above, I mention using Lee100 with the iPhone 15. I won't know for sure until Beastgrip ships its iPhone 15 cage, but hand-holding may prove to be the best solution for using neutral density filters with the iPhone's ultrawide lens. In full frame 35mm terms, it's a 13mm lens. The iPhone lenses are fixed aperture. The ultrawide is f/2.8. If one wants to preserve the motion blur of 24, 25 or 30fps, which require shutter speeds of 1/48, 1/50 and 1/60 respectively, and have control over ISO, using neutral density filters is essential. To avoid vignetting with the ultrawide, hand-holding is an option. That said, I know one person who has successfully used certain Hoya low profile ND filters with that lens.
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Dec-2023 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    For square filters, I think that 100mmx100mm is probably used by the great majority of 4x5 photographers. How often does one see smaller or larger sizes discussed? That said, if one can get away with smaller filters, such as Lee Seven5 or Lee85, there's a clear cost saving.

As you suggest, the combination of the filter holder and the ring that adapts a particular lens's thread size to the holder raises the issue of vignetting. That's why Lee makes standard adapter rings and, for several adapter ring sizes, wide angle adapter rings. The latter are low profile and help avoid vignetting.

One can also forego the filter holder altogether and hold the filter against the lens by hand.*

There's a guy called The Filter Dude who makes adapter rings for the Lee100 holder. These are less expensive than Lee's own. I have three of his adapter rings and they work perfectly well. He also makes an inexpensive filter holder, but I have no experience with it. I believe that he's located in Pennsylvania.

* In the post just above, I mention using Lee100 with the iPhone 15. I won't know for sure until Beastgrip ships its iPhone 15 cage, but hand-holding may prove to be the best solution for using neutral density filters with the iPhone's ultrawide lens. In full frame 35mm terms, it's a 13mm lens. The iPhone lenses are fixed aperture. For example, the ultrawide is f/2.8. If one wants to preserve the motion blur of 24, 25 or 30fps, which require shutter speeds of 1/48, 1/50 and 1/60 respectively, and have control over ISO, using neutral density filters is essential. To avoid vignetting with the ultrawide, hand-holding is an option. That said, I know one person who has successfully used certain Hoya low profile ND filters with that lens.
    Just note that the filter dude is kind of out of business… I say kind of because he has some residual inventory on the website (very little) which he still used to ship; but as of late I still have an unfulfilled order from November… so buy at your own risk…

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Just note that the filter dude is kind of out of business… I say kind of because he has some residual inventory on the website (very little) which he still used to ship; but as of late I still have an unfulfilled order from November… so buy at your own risk…
    Thanks. I ordered a 58mm wide angle adapter ring from him four days ago, December 24th. He's acknowledged the order and I'm one state over. I should receive the adapter in the next few days. If I don't, I guess there's a problem. He hasn't announced that he's closing. Anyway, if I have to buy from B&H, and given the higher cost of Lee's wide angle adapters over standard, it will be US$68 instead of $25

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    Goal: standardize around one filter holder and system. I prefer square drop-in filters. They take up less space. Prefer glass.

What I have: a hodgepodge of adapter rings, a Cokin drop in holder that can accommodate 84 x 120 mm filters; a set of Galen Rowell ND grads sized 84x120. All of this was stuff from my 35mm kit.

Current Lens: Fuji 150 f5.6 with 52mm threads. I have a 52mm ring to connect to the Cokin holder.

Shooting 4x5

I'm good-to-go with the ND grads I have but want to add yellow, red, etc for B&W work. I'm concerned about the filter holder, that as my lens kits grows over time that it won't be sized properly to cover larger LF lenses. I don't want to invest in colored 84x120 filters and then find out that I should've sized larger for bigger-sized lenses.

Is there a "standard" filter holder size (and drop in filter) for 4x5 that I should be looking at?
    The only that I could standardize on filters was diy. I have a set of "theatrical gels" that I bought on Amazon for about $8.00 for 2 each of 8.5x11 all standard colors, which are saturated enough to work well, although they do not meet the iso standards, or other standards. Being perplexed by mounting and sizing, I just quickly checked all my lenses and decided on 2.75x2.75 inches, since that size covers all my lenses easily, and maximizes number that I get. I get 25 gelatin filters for each color, red, yellow, orange, green, purple, and a few others I forget, and I have a lifetime supply.

Then I made a holder out of 1/16" basswood and 1/8" mdf that mounts to my cameras via clamps or bolts. Diy lets you set your own standard for your own purposes. I have a lifetime supply of colored filters for b+W photography for only a few bucks. These will work for my 4x5 cameras very well into the future, even after the zombie apocalypse.

I use the word zombie metaphorically to represent any possible emergency civilization ending event.

Alan Townsend

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Thanks. I ordered a 58mm wide angle adapter ring from him four days ago, December 24th. He's acknowledged the order and I'm one state over. I should receive the adapter in the next few days. If I don't, I guess there's a problem. He hasn't announced that he's closing. Anyway, if I have to buy from B&H, and given the higher cost of Lee's wide angle adapters over standard, it will be US$68 instead of $25
    Good luck, let us know if he fulfills it.

Tired of waiting, I recently took advantage of the 25% sale that Lee direct offered up on Black Friday (which lasted until a few days ago). That closed the price gap enough for me.

I transitioned to using a SmallRig matte box equipped with a carbon fiber flag and capable of accommodating two 100x100/100x150 filters. Previously, I relied on a LEE wide hood with a 100mm filter holder, which served me well for many years until it eventually broke—the holder detached from the hood. My attempt to repair it only caused further damage. Considering the high cost of a new LEE filter holder and hood, I explored other options and settled on the matte box. It has been effective for use with my 4x5 and 6x17 cameras. One feature I sought is having the filters integrated within the hood itself. I prefer this setup to using a standalone filter holder.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I transitioned to using a SmallRig matte box equipped with a carbon fiber flag and capable of accommodating two 100x100/100x150 filters. Previously, I relied on a LEE wide hood with a 100mm filter holder, which served me well for many years until it eventually broke—the holder detached from the hood. My attempt to repair it only caused further damage. Considering the high cost of a new LEE filter holder and hood, I explored other options and settled on the matte box. It has been effective for use with my 4x5 and 6x17 cameras. One feature I sought is having the filters integrated within the hood itself. I prefer this setup to using a standalone filter holder.
    At least the last time I checked, it can only accommodate 4mm thick glass, no? It’s an elegant solution but there’s no way I’m rebuying all the glass I’ve invested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    At least the last time I checked, it can only accommodate 4mm thick glass, no? It’s an elegant solution but there’s no way I’m rebuying all the glass I’ve invested in.
    I currently use LEE gels in holders that are slimmer than the LEE and Hitech ND filters I also employ with the same setup. Additionally, this allows me to use the screw-in filters in my collection. Given the wide range of matte boxes available in the market, it’s possible that the specific type you’re referring to exists, although I’m not personally familiar with it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...matte_box.html
    Last edited by darr; 28-Dec-2023 at 12:52. Reason: Product link added