Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my Wista RF! Any Wista experts out there?

Problems with my Wista RF! Any Wista experts out there?

I’ve been lucky enough to be given a Wista RF body for Christmas. I already own a 45VX and so I already have a sliding roll film back and the sprung 5 x 4 back.
    Here’s my problem! Whilst the sliding roll film back, fits the RF comfortably, the 5 x 4 back is an incredibly tight fit and I cannot lock the corner tabs, nor rotate the back in operation. Is there anything I’m missing here?

I had a look for 5 x 4 Wista backs on the used market in the UK, and they’re like hens teeth!
    I’m really hopeful some of you can come up with some crafty suggestions! Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0692.jpg  

Re: Problems with my Wista RF! Any Wista experts out there?

Send it to Japan via KUMAR

It is similar to LINHOF

I have a LINHOF and found a nick

I Hand Fitted and I don't fool with ever again

I also have WISTA RF from KUMAR
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Send it to Japan via KUMAR
    Yikes! Send the camera to Japan? I was hoping there might be a less drastic solution!
    If it’s due to crappy manufacturing tolerances, I may as well file the back of the camera myself. I don’t want to adjust the 5x4 back, as it’s a good fit for the 45VX. I have a laser cutter and should be able to make an accurate acrylic template, then run an end-mill cutter in a router and take of a fraction of a millimetre off the external diameter of the camera. Or I could pay someone in the Uk to put it on a lathe for me?

To be honest, if it’s this badly made I don’t want to own any more Wista equipment. I thought these cameras were supposed to be well-engineered?

Ooh, I think I might have a 45-N and not a VX, there’s no micro adjustment knob on the side of the camera body. Is the fitting of the back different on this older body, as that’s the camera I got the 4x5 back with. It looks as it it should be the same…

As I wrote LINHOF may have the same periblem

You are expecting a Bitzer to fit!

over and Out

Quote Originally Posted by bohngy View Post
    Yikes! Send the camera to Japan? I was hoping there might be a less drastic solution!
    If it’s due to crappy manufacturing tolerances, I may as well file the back of the camera myself. I don’t want to adjust the 5x4 back, as it’s a good fit for the 45VX. I have a laser cutter and should be able to make an accurate acrylic template, then run an end-mill cutter in a router and take of a fraction of a millimeter off the external diameter of the camera. Or I could pay someone in the Uk to put it on a lathe for me?

To be honest, if it’s this badly made I don’t want to own any more Wista equipment. I thought these cameras were supposed to be well-engineered?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    As I wrote LINHOF may have the same periblem

You are expecting a Bitzer to fit!
    Sorry, I’m not up on my terminology, what’s a Blitzer?
    Also, I didn’t think Linhof backs were compatible with Wista? Or are you referring to the problems with Linhof build quality too?
    Thanks.

Wista backs have two kinds of fittings. The one with the round fitting is for the N, VX and RF as shown in the OP's first post.

The other squarish one is for the D and SP:

Wista cameras are very well built, and parts are easily interchangeable. The round fitting is like a dovetail, with the four corner tabs acting as the top part of the sliding arrangement. While fitting the back on to the camera, it is important to ensure that the spring loaded ball for the detent is pressed in properly, and the tabs slide in smoothly. If this is not done, the tabs will not fit correctly and make it very difficult to rotate the back. It is also necessary to release the lock on the back before rotating it.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    The round fitting is like a dovetail, with the four corner tabs acting as the top part of the sliding arrangement.
    Kumar
    Thanks for the info here. Even with the tabs removed from the camera body completely, the 5x4 back will press tightly onto its fitting but it won’t rotate, it’s too tight.

I don’t entirely agree with your belief that these are well-built. They might be made of a decent alloy, but if the machining tolerances are this bad then I does make me wonder.

I trust KUMAR
    Tin Can

wistas are built like tanks and accessories for them fit very nicely unless there is a problem causing out of tolerence or model missmatch. perhaps that back is not for that camera? have you carfully inspected it for damage or diy repairs? maybe it just needs a good cleaning and lube? interlocking parts are finiky like that.

kumar is vrey well versed in wistas. another member on lf once sold these cameras and perhaps will chime in to collaborate kumar's suggestion or offer more detailed info.