Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Historical Portraits

Re: Historical Portraits

Deleted my post due to images not being large format.

Pity
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Pity
    I’ll start a similar thread in the small format section.

I just scanned this print today.

I think it's an 8th grade class picture from 1944. My father is the boy second from the right. This was done on 4x5 or 8x10, my guess is 8x10. The main light was in the direction the girls's shoes were pointing, and there looks like there was a fill light just right of camera. Given the film speed and depth-of-field requirements, what do you think the light sources were? Flashbulbs?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I just scanned this print today.
    I think it's an 8th grade class picture from 1944. My father is the boy second from the right. This was done on 4x5 or 8x10, my guess is 8x10. The main light was in the direction the girls's shoes were pointing, and there looks like there was a fill light just right of camera. Given the film speed and depth-of-field requirements, what do you think the light sources were? Flashbulbs?
    Nice Peter. Could be flood lights too I suppose. Shouldn't the image be reversed so the text on the film boarder is readable? The guy and gal that are 3rd from our left have the same cleft chin. Maybe they are brother and sister.

Tuco, good catch on the chins! I don't know who the people are, but people on my town's Facebook group are adding them. Good question about the orientation. This is how it was displayed in the frame, and notice the '1944' written with opaque ink on the print, and so I went with that. My newish cheap scanner now puts a line down the middle of the print. I suspect there's dust on the optical system or sensor. What a pain.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know