Hi all,

I am currently using a Graflex Crown Graphic with Kodak Ektar 152mm f/4.5 lens for wet plate work, using a Chamonix wet plate holder. I love the holder. One pain with the Crown Graphic is that switching between portrait and landscape requires getting the camera off the tripod, and then rotating the whole camera, and re-mounting it on the tripod. I am doing studio work, portraits (of one or two people) and need to switch orientations without too much hassle. Also the Crown Graphic has minimal front movements, and in the future I might want to experiment with movements, as I want to start shooting still life, especially very small things. Right now that Ektar lens can go to what seems like 1:1 magnification with the bellows fully extended. I would prefer to magnify as much as possible, i.e. macro (picture small insects, small models), and will write another post on my quest for the right lens. I would use the Chamonix bellows extension board.

Since I plan to do mainly studio work, size and weight are not primary concerns. I don't really understand rear movements enough to know how helpful that would be for macro work. I have settled on Chamonix due to the high level of craftsmanship and customer service.

The 45N-2 is optimized for foldability and weight, but lacks some adjustments. Since I'm not bringing it backpacking, I think I would do better with a different model. The 45H-1 is meant for wide angle work, as per the website. So does that leave me with the 45F-2? I see that it has separate front controls for rise/fall and tilt, and asymmetric rear tilts. I know the rear adjustments are for architectural and landscape work, but don't know if they would help with macro photography. Are there other considerations that I am missing? I have found an earlier thread of the subject of how to choose a Chamonix 4x5, but since my requirements are different, I felt this warranted a separate post.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Adam