Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help Choosing a Chamonix 4x5

Need Help Choosing a Chamonix 4x5

Hi all,

I am currently using a Graflex Crown Graphic with Kodak Ektar 152mm f/4.5 lens for wet plate work, using a Chamonix wet plate holder. I love the holder. One pain with the Crown Graphic is that switching between portrait and landscape requires getting the camera off the tripod, and then rotating the whole camera, and re-mounting it on the tripod. I am doing studio work, portraits (of one or two people) and need to switch orientations without too much hassle. Also the Crown Graphic has minimal front movements, and in the future I might want to experiment with movements, as I want to start shooting still life, especially very small things. Right now that Ektar lens can go to what seems like 1:1 magnification with the bellows fully extended. I would prefer to magnify as much as possible, i.e. macro (picture small insects, small models), and will write another post on my quest for the right lens. I would use the Chamonix bellows extension board.

Since I plan to do mainly studio work, size and weight are not primary concerns. I don't really understand rear movements enough to know how helpful that would be for macro work. I have settled on Chamonix due to the high level of craftsmanship and customer service.

The 45N-2 is optimized for foldability and weight, but lacks some adjustments. Since I'm not bringing it backpacking, I think I would do better with a different model. The 45H-1 is meant for wide angle work, as per the website. So does that leave me with the 45F-2? I see that it has separate front controls for rise/fall and tilt, and asymmetric rear tilts. I know the rear adjustments are for architectural and landscape work, but don't know if they would help with macro photography. Are there other considerations that I am missing? I have found an earlier thread of the subject of how to choose a Chamonix 4x5, but since my requirements are different, I felt this warranted a separate post.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Adam

Re: Need Help Choosing a Chamonix 4x5

Contact Hugo Zhang a member here and who represents Chamonix.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...610-Hugo-Zhang

There are many reviews of these 4x5s on Youtube. They are worth watching in addition to whatever responses you get here. Perhaps compare that information with your use-case. Here's one worth watching; this guy seems competent.

BTW, since you mentioned studio work you should be prepared for responses suggesting a monorail camera!

"Since I plan to do mainly studio work, size and weight are not primary concerns."

How does this lead you to Chamonix? Great cameras, but that's not what they are all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    There are many reviews of these 4x5s on Youtube. They are worth watching in addition to whatever responses you get here. Perhaps compare that information with your use-case. Here's one worth watching; this guy seems competent.

BTW, since you mentioned studio work you should be prepared for responses suggesting a monorail camera!
    Todd Korol has a new video about a Chamonix 810V that Chamonix has lent him:

Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    "Since I plan to do mainly studio work, size and weight are not primary concerns."

How does this lead you to Chamonix? Great cameras, but that's not what they are all about.
    I have settled on Chamonix due to the high level of craftsmanship and customer service.

David Schaller

I think what xkaes meant was, why not use a monorail camera for studio work? That’s what they’re designed for, and can be had relatively inexpensively. Field cameras, such as the excellent Chamonix models, are designed for work outside the studio.

Thanks, and there are lots of studio cameras that have a high level of craftsmanship and customer service.

Don't get me wrong. I'm strictly a field camera guy, and usually encourage people to explore their benefits, but for you???????? Seems like a mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    I think what xkaes meant was, why not use a monorail camera for studio work? That’s what they’re designed for, and can be had relatively inexpensively. Field cameras, such as the excellent Chamonix models, are designed for work outside the studio.
    What would be the benefits of a monorail camera, besides lower cost? Field cameras appeal to me because I would like to think I could pack it up and bring it in an airplane carry-on without dedicating a whole suitcase.

Don't assume field cameras cost more than studio cameras. Usually the opposite.