Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

Re: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

I used a Omega View camera for a couple decades - which I packed around everywhere. What I ended up doing, was to buy an additional rail, and cut it down very short so that I could shoot with the 90mm and 75mm lens, but also put it into the pack-sack. When I wanted more extension then I put it on the regular rail.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I used to hike with calumet metal 4x5 in a rectangular canvas duffle bag. I added A shaped inserts that let the camera hang upside down on its rails. Plenty of room for lenses, holders, and accessories in ICUs. Mine had a heavy duty shoulder strap but it was still a beast to carry when you consider I also had the polaroid processor and a metal tripod too. I still use that duffle bag as my weekend getaway luggage.

Similar to this one
    LLBEAN duffle
    That might work for me. I was thinking of building some supports into a storage bin just to keep it when not in use. I was thinking "backpack", but duffle bag never crossed my mind. Might even be able to use the same supports for both. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Fallingwater 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This was not an easy hike. When I got to here I was mighty glad I had the 4x5 Norma with me. The front and rear standards can "touch together" with the Norma. Can't do that with a folder

Probably the most famous (world over) architectural site, Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater". My second time visiting, this time 4x5 B&W only. A venerated spot. I did not see any tripod holes It is even a postage stamp
    That's a great shot. Only about 45 minutes from me. My first time there was a field trip about 1978.

Drew Wiley

Daniel - hanging out with a cheap gal like Norma might cause people in society to look down on you. Are you implying getting caught with her is a dangerous situation? Does she have another boyfriend?

Pigpen - I've come across mint condition vintage real backpacks very affordably at garage sales etc. Some of these were very expensive and way better made than what you find in outdoor stores today. They bought them with some trip in mind, then never even used them. Just check for proper sizing for you personally. Why lug a glorified gunny sack around? - That won't be nice to your spine.

With my vintage Kelty external frame pack and similar ones, for day hiking, I simply drop a plastic kitchen wastebasket into the top compartment. Then the monorail drops in there fully assembled and ready to go, even with 24 inches of rail sections installed, resting crosswise below the top flap. There room for film holders below. Darkcloth is already attached, lenses etc in side pouches.

When I want to use my 8x10 folder instead, I just slip in its own container, right into the top; same goes for med format kits. For long haul backpacking, I use my goose down jacket as packing and insulation instead of a kitchen can.

Another nice thing about traveling with monorails is that if you are interested in shooting architecture or ruins on the same trip, you've got ideal gear. Just shorten your rail and substitute a bag bellows if necessary, like Daniel did - if Norma is still speaking to him! (She might not be happy about becoming shorter).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Pigpen - I've come across mint condition vintage real backpacks very affordably at garage sales etc. Some of these were very expensive and way better made than what you find in outdoor stores today. They bought them with some trip in mind, then never even used them. Just check for proper sizing for you personally. Why lug a glorified gunny sack around? - That won't be nice to your spine.
    Yeah, but he'll learn a valuable lesson -- how expensive trips to the Chiropractor are!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    How well does that work if you need to scramble up or down several thousand feet of rocks or ice? ... Maybe someone will figure out how to make monorail sections function as skis, and riser rods as trekking poles. But there are problems with double-duty schemes. A buddy of mine had one of those ultralight tents where you use you trekking poles as tent poles. But then he didn't have those poles available for crossing a creek in the evening, where he slipped and damaged some very expensive camera gear, plus his ankle.
    I can say with near absolute confidence I am not going to be scrambling up several thousand feet of rocks/ice with my LF setup + darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    That's a great shot. Only about 45 minutes from me. My first time there was a field trip about 1978.
    Thanks Pigpen!

Tom Abrahamsson visited Fallingwater with the Leica Historical Society, and he studied this photograph. His response "You should have used an 8x10".

Ha Ha!

1992 Great Sand Dunes No 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I was sinking knee-deep into the sand. This is a glorious experience. I stayed in this spot quite a while just enjoying everything about this. 4x5 Sinar Norma 90mm f8 Norma Super Angulon HP5 d76 1:1. 8x10 fibre print Fortezo Dektol 1:2 Omega Dii Omegalite 180mm black Rodagon.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 28-Dec-2023 at 13:49.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

For years, I used a Calumet CC401 with the 22-inch rail. It came with a nice case that I lugged around outside, but never venturing far from my car. The case was multipurpose— a handy step-stool when the camera was high on the tripod, and a bench on which I could rest between shots and contemplate how I might have screwed up my exposures. I have a Norma now that looks to be a great field camera if I ever decide to leave my basement studio take it on the road.

Great Sand Dunes National Park I assume???

Those dunes are hard enough to climb WITHOUT an 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Great Sand Dunes National Park I assume???

Those dunes are hard enough to climb WITHOUT an 8x10.
    Yep. Great Sand Dunes 1992. Not an easy climb but well worth it. Sand was blowing up to my waist; If I lowered Norma it would have been the end of her. But no all was perfect-o.

The famous Fallingwater shot was what TomA was referring to, needing to be in 8x10. If I ever go again I will do it!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain