Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

Re: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    50 years or so ago I backpacked with a Linhof Kardan Bi 5 x 7. I had a short rail fabricated that was just long enough to hold the two standards separated just far enough to allow the camera to be mounted in the rail clamp that I carried attached to the tripod. Setup consisted of putting the tripod in place, mounting the short rail with standards, and attaching the full rail. Quick and easy.
    Yes, I saw a guy on youtube use a 3D printer to make the 150mm rail that is difficult to find, just as you've described. Is there any reason I can't cut a 150mm length of a dowel rod of the same diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I prefer my DIY Rickshaw

Camera Cart 3 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    That's awesome and looks quite simple. Something even I can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I backpacked my Calumet CC400 monorail camera, virtually the same as Maris described. Eventually, and after about two years of use, I managed to pick up my Shen Hao HZX45-IIA wooden folder, which has quite a lot of movements for a wooden folder.

I now have and use a Toyo 45G and agree that you have an excellent camera with pretty much all movements and then some. Probably more than you will mostly ever need, but obviously very nice to have.

Only once have I carried my Toyo 45G in a backpack, I configured the camera as close together as possible using a very small rail I picked up in a photographic flea market, carried it in a backpack with all the other stuff, added the standard rail to the chopped rail and I was in business.

One thing I did do, was to pick up a Toyo to Linhof lens board adaptor, as shown here with my 90mm lens attached. This way I don't need to swop lenses from one sized board to another. If you intend in the future to possibly have a folding camera, then this may be helpful for that camera, with the benefit of no added cost.

Attachment 244944
    The 150mm rail is available, just not in the budget currently. My Toyo came with that exact conversion board. I haven't checked but it's probably asking too much for that Linhof board to fit the Graphic.

When shooting scenics with a 4x5 or a 8x10 camera, that required hiking, best is a soft bag white nayga with holders and stuff (Zone VI Monorail Bag/discreet), and a thick pillow on my shoulder. Also DOMKE Post Office Pad from B&H. Balance the wooden tripod/camera, sling the bag, and off you go. Worked good for long day hikes. When I was to where I wanted to go, I was glad to have 4x5 Norma for experimental shots. If I really liked the scene and wanted to rework it, I would sling the 8x10 Norma. When the wind is blowing hard, the Norma cuts the mustard. And so precise to use. Most here use folders, not my preference. No torture involved, only shooting bliss.

Get or make a short rail, I've made bunches of them. Carry the whole thing around in one piece. Quite often I was not going that far.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I want to thank all of you for the good advice. I'm guilty of comparing apples to oranges. I have seen only 3 monorail cameras in person at local camera shops over the last year. These were Cambo, Calumet, Omega (I do know some of these are made by the same companies). All of these were the simple, budget models where parts were simpler, and nothing was geared and, obviously, much lighter.

I knew I was getting "too much camera", I wanted to slowly learn it and hopefully grow into it. Just didn't count on the weight.

Another question. The four "posts" on the standards have a plastic plug. I removed one and noticed the posts are threaded. I'm thinking this is for an accessory, maybe adding post to increase the rise and fall range? I saw a video where a woman had a Cambo SC2 and these posts were long enough that she could easily set the camera on a table upside down resting on the 4 posts. Seems like a great way to handle/store it while not on a tripod. Would it be possible to pick up 4 short bolts from the hardware store to use? Can't hurt anything, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    When shooting scenics with a 4x5 or a 8x10 camera, that required hiking, best is a soft bag white nayga with holders and stuff (Zone VI Monorail Bag/discreet), and a thick pillow on my shoulder. Also DOMKE Post Office Pad from B&H. Balance the wooden tripod/camera, sling the bag, and off you go. Worked good for long day hikes. When I was to where I wanted to go, I was glad to have 4x5 Norma for experimental shots. If I really liked the scene and wanted to rework it, I would sling the 8x10 Norma. When the wind is blowing hard, the Norma cuts the mustard. And so precise to use. Most here use folders, not my preference. No torture involved, only shooting bliss.

Get or make a short rail, I've made bunches of them. Carry the whole thing around in one piece. Quite often I was not going that far.
    Yes, I saw someone 3D print a small rail to collapse it down further. I was thinking of cutting down a dowel rod, assuming I can find one of the same diameter. May I ask how you made yours?

I bought a standard rail (in rough condition missing parts), and cut it down. I use my Lil' Machine Shop Electric Bandsaw, to cut down all kinds of things. Anybody with a shop could do this for you. Not sure how yours works but should be doable.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

That's a good idea, thank you.

I apologize to Mr. Kumar, it seems I did not buy this camera from him. oops

Drew Wiley

It's basically the Japanese cousin to the classic Sinar Norma model, which easily fits, fully set up with an 24 inch rail, in the top compartment of my vintage (US made) Kelty Tioga external frame backpack. Way more load capacity, better gear protection, and more comfortable to carry than any "camera pack". Over the decades, I've backpacked over 15,000 miles of difficult terrain in this manner using the Sinar system. Now in my mid-70's, I now use Sinar only for day hikes. For long treks I now substitute a lightweight Ebony 4X5 folder instead.

If you like the perspective of long lenses, like I do, monorails are wonderful. But they can be rapidly converted to short lens usage too. They're more versatile and quicker to set up than folders. It's a myth they're suitable only for studio use.